LaunchBox Community Forums

XBox 360 controller help

Bedwyr

Okie dokie. I need help from someone else a) using Retroarch, b) using a 360 controller, and possibly c) using Windows 10. It looks like my 360 guide buttons quit working. That is they *work* by connecting to the receiver, but they appear to be dead as an input button. Both Pinnacle and PadStarr aren't reading Guide button presses. I have no idea what the cause is, but one suspicion is that MS did something to Xinput on the last W10 update. Or Xinput as a whole. If someone is using the Guide button on this controller for any reason (I usually use it to exit programs), could you check and respond? It'd help me narrow down what's going on here. - Did Retroarch ever try to access the Guide button? That'd be a good check to make if it did. - I'm already familiar with the XBox bar function in Windows 10 and, yes, it's disabled. I checked. - Do other mapping programs use the Guide, like Joy2Key? How about AHK's scripting? They have access to guide inputs?

Oh and a weird addition: In Retroarch Esc is no longer shutting down the program. I don't know why. It could be related, but I think it's most likely a separate problem that is concurrent with this, especially because I observed guide button problems in an unrelated program. Huh. I just tried assigning "exit" and "menu" function to other controller buttons. Neither work. I have an active button set up in there so a right stick click plus left stick should exit Retroarch and right click plus back button should bring up the menu. Neither work. This is mysterious. Correction. Retroarch is responding appropriately to other button input. Config file mistakes. Regarding the main problem, the Guide/Home button should show up as button 10 in Retroarch, right? Retroarch is responding to every input but that one. I might like to get a driver check of some kind. Right now the wireless dongle is showing up as its own driver category. The 360 is showing up as a generic HID gamepad, driver circa 2006. Is that a change from how it worked before? Can others confirm or deny this?

Easy workaround: You can alternatively use Settings-->Input-->Menu Toggle and choose L3 + R3 at the same time to get the menu you want in game. Something to try: Also try uninstalling Windows 360 Accessories (something like that) so that the little black popup doesn't come up when you press the xbox button and instead you can use the button in retroarch to take you into quick menu.

I haven't had much luck getting that guide button to work in Retroarch or anywhere else. I'm not sure why, but the guide button does not show up as a standard button on the controller. It requires special code in order to access it, so it doesn't work unless an app has code that specifically accesses it in order to make it work. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Retroarch has never supported it. I'm not aware of any emulators that do, unfortunately.

I've already got a workaround set up that uses the right stick button for mode shifting. Works fine inside Retroarch and can be mapped on other emulators. It's fine, but I am disappointed if something's changed. I emailed the mapping software author who supports guide button functionality on both controllers (One and 360). I'll report back if I learn anything.