LaunchBox Community Forums

Strange Retroarch behavior in Ocarina

Bedwyr

I have proper button response for the game, but in the sub-screen Z-trigger (again working in the main game) doesn't do anything. I can only rotate the menu to the right. Is something going on in the game or with key bindings? My current key assignments: Retroarch It's been a long time since I poked around in Retroarch key bindings, but they're pretty bad. I have no idea what either column means now. References to "C" and "Z" tell me the left column is intended to be N64 explicit, but the N64 controller never had L and R triggers, just the shoulder buttons. Likewise on the right, I don't know what +4 and +5 mean. It could be the x-input analog triggers, but what are -4 and -5 on the 360 then? And just for reference, my objective is to simply have the z-trigger mapped to the 360's left trigger just as it would work when holding the middle handle. That's a change from Retroarch default, I think. Retroarch is such a good system, but good grief has the confusion caused so many problems.

I did that when I was troubleshooting; forget what it was set to. It doesn't seem to have had any effect at all on the gameplay or behavior which is kind of perplexing in itself. Does that mean Retroarch isn't using my settings anymore? Is there some kind of mysterious override elsewhere they've designed in? Ai. This here is the UI equivalent of spaghetti code. The design had a purpose, but Retroarch has grown so far beyond its MAME roots, it needs more than a presentation change. The whole structure of controller configuration needs to be ripped apart and redone, maybe from scratch.

That did it, thanks. I'm probably getting turned around but I've been using this as a visual reference: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/retroarch-configuration That indicates that the shoulder button of the retropad (L1, http://www.libretro.com/index.php/getting-started-with-retroarch/) is mapped to the Z trigger, not the 360's trigger. Are those illustations out of date? I did switch the primary buttons (A/B) back to A/X as it makes more intuitive sense.

I don't think they're necessarily out of date, but the RetroPi is Linux based and so the drivers are different, so the internal codes for what each button is is completely different. It's a good visual for RetroPi users who have to manually edit configs to get things to work (it's a bit more laborious on these set ups), but I think wrong for RetroArch on any other system.

Not specifically, I've actually never needed to customize my controls in RetroArch as long as it was a 360, Xbox One, PS3 or PS4 controller as it's automatically registered and assigned. PS3 and PS4 controller get ran with software like InputMapper that essentially tells the computer that they are 360 based controllers, so it's based on the drivers more than anything. The only time I did need to map controls was when I hooked up my USB N64 controller to my PC as it uses Generic Drivers. It was a pain in the ass to set up in RetroArch, but neither the ini nor the ui was really of any help. Their descriptions for each button are a tad vague. I did end up getting it to work through a bit of trial and error. Set the buttons, tested them in a game, reset ones that were wrong and repeat. So every time I launch the N64 core, it loads my custom config file for N64, loads my specific settings and controller settings and we're good to go.