LaunchBox Community Forums

EmuMovies updating?

AladdinSane

I'm wondering two things about the EmuMovies integration. 1) When EmuMovies creates a new version of a video, is there any mechanism in Launchbox to retrieve the newer version? Is there something that periodically checks existing files to see if there is a newer version? 2) EmuMovies is changing how things are organized. For example, they are breaking out the Super Famicom stuff from the main Super Nintendo set. Do we need to match that setup in Launchbox? Is it smart enough when I import a rom into my "Super Nintendo" section to search EmuMovies Super Nintendo and Super Famicom sections to find a match?

LaunchBox doesn't automatically know when something is different on the server, you still need to tell LaunchBox to download metadata. There is a box when you do the update from the menu that says to download metadata even if something exists, and it will do so for only the things you check. That said, we don't download video from EmuMovies, that is something users need to manually check and I don't think it will be something we integrate. LaunchBox will import based on the qualifiers you set. So if you have a game named Tetris with the platform Super Famicom, it will search these. If you changed that to Super Nintendo it might find more matches, but this is based on our scrapers. In TheGamesDB Famicom doesn't necessarily mean anything, because the category is labeled Super Nintendo, even for Japanese games. LB should know alternate names though, and if the user sets it up this way for GamesDB LaunchBox knows and will take the game and put it under Super Nintendo and grab the information even if it was looking for Super Famicom. Wikipedia should be the same way and so should EmuMovies. EmuMovies is a bit more strict however, so we'll need to do some testing. The platforms should stay one name ideally, and we do have a list of defaults that we suggest users use otherwise scraping will be off. In this case it is Super Nintendo, and if it wont grab Super Famicom artwork then this is certainly something we can fix in the future.

Did you originally have those games entered under SNES? If so then you will need to go into your LaunchBox folder and go to Images\SNES (or whatever you have it named) there you will see all of your Image files from that platform you can either go into the individual folders and find the SFC games and then paste them in your new Super Famicom folder or you can just copy all the folders and paste them under SFC yeah it will take up extra space because you will have all the SNES games images to but that will be much faster than sorting through each game individually. I'm not 100% on this but I think if you run the clean up images option under tools it may delete the SNES data from the SFC folder and the SFC images from the SNES folder since they won't have any entries under that platform.

So we don't differentiate between the different variations of names. So if you add a system LaunchBox or BigBox doesn't know about it won't have artwork for it. Super Nintendo (SNES) is the platform it is expecting, not Super Famicom. As well, like I said, if you search up a game as Super Famicom it will have problems grabbing art work; At least in our current state with only 3 Metadata locations that aren't complete. Seiken Densetsu is a Super Famicom game, but if artwork is to be found found for it it will be under Super Nintendo. LaunchBox may find a match based on name alone and will then change the platform from SF to SNES, but not every game does that. My DOS games will frequently change platforms to PC from MS-DOS because technically the platform it is expecting is PC. We sadly can't change TheGamesDB, and it is what we are based off of currently and even EmuMovies is off. We are seriously hoping that MobyGames can be our metadata knight in shining armor.

DOS76 said Did you originally have those games entered under SNES? If so then you will need to go into your LaunchBox folder and go to Images\SNES (or whatever you have it named) there you will see all of your Image files from that platform you can either go into the individual folders and find the SFC games and then paste them in your new Super Famicom folder or you can just copy all the folders and paste them under SFC yeah it will take up extra space because you will have all the SNES games images to but that will be much faster than sorting through each game individually. I'm not 100% on this but I think if you run the clean up images option under tools it may delete the SNES data from the SFC folder and the SFC images from the SNES folder since they won't have any entries under that platform.
Yea, running the images cleaning tool will delete games if they previously had metadata. If you did move a game that did have data before that doesn't have it now, yea Derek is correct, the link in the LaunchBox XML has been severed. Copying over the effected games images to the new system folder should solve the problem, but running the metadata downloader may also fix this. Again, you'll run in to issues that I covered in my previous post though.

I've actually done this for NEC-PC Engine when I decided to split the two platforms up its a pretty good solution to get your data up on the new system It sure beats finding all those damn Japanese covers again it was actually a pretty big job finding them.

DOS76 said I've actually done this for NEC-PC Engine when I decided to split the two platforms up its a pretty good solution to get your data up on the new system It sure beats finding all those damn Japanese covers again it was actually a pretty big job finding them.
So, did you ever get the system-level metadata to sync then? I'm a bit confused by Brad's answer.

There wouldn't be any system metadata for Famicom unless you made it your self and put it in the platform folder you can access it through the manage platform option under tools. There are tabs for details, folders and notes so if you had the text information on Super Famicom you would paste it under notes and you can add your platform images in the same way that you would add game images from there.

DOS76 said There wouldn't be any system metadata for Famicom unless you made it your self and put it in the platform folder you can access it through the manage platform option under tools. There are tabs for details, folders and notes so if you had the text information on Super Famicom you would paste it under notes and you can add your platform images in the same way that you would add game images from there.
Thanks! I hope someday they automatically add system metadata to the other systems in the future.