LaunchBox Community Forums

Xbox 360 Wireless controller not working with Big Box

pjburnhill

Hey, I'm trying to get my Xbox 360 controller to work with Big Box and having no luck. I've ticked both boxes in Options under Controller and the controller doesn't show up under controllers.. It works fine and as it should under Steam Big Picture mode... no idea why it wouldn't work in BB! I'm using latest 64bit drivers from: https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows Windows 7 Ultimate on a MacBook Pro Retina 15" Thanks, PJ

Hey Jason, That's where I checked the settings for controllers - in Big Box. I've ticked both tick boxes ('Enable Game Controllers' & 'Use All Controllers'). Nothing's showing under 'Device:'. I've got an official Xbox 360 Wireless controller and official wireless receiver. As I said in the previous post, the controller works fine in Steam Big Picture and any games which support xinput natively. What system info would you need to figure out what the issue could be? Cheers, PJ EDIT!: After some heavy uninstalling, removing, installing and opening joy.cpl (didn't show there before) and selecting as preferred device, NOW it's working!...

• 3 weeks later...
Right, continuing with some controller issues. I have no idea why this happens but I'm running Big Box through Steam Link -> Big Picture -> Big Box. As per previous post, the controller works if plugged directly to host computer (as long as I run in Win 7 Aero theme, not basic) but when running Big Box via Steam Link, it doesn't work at all (and not recognised in the Controller Setup in Big Box). The controller works fine this way in all xinput apps through Steam Link, including RetroArch and all games... Just not in Big Box.. I assume Steam uses some sort of xinput emulator for the controller when plugged into Steam Link, which doesn't seem to talk to DirectX... Is there way for the DirectX to hook into Xinput or something? Would a 3rd party app help here? Thanks in advance, PJ

Thanks Jason, that would be massively helpful. At the moment RetroArch, DOSBox, Snes9x, xinput Games etc all work through
xbox controller -> Steam Link -> Big Picture -> Emu/Game
And even this:
xbox controller -> Steam Link -> Big Picture -> LaunchBox/Big Box -> Emu/Game
But I have to use keyboard/mouse for LaunchBox/Big Box in the middle of the chain. I would be eternally grateful if I could play my collection of old Dos game from my sofa with just a controller! Laugh

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jason, Sorry to pester on this but have you had any luck with implementing xinput controller inputs to BB? I'm trying to get it to work with x360ce but still no luck... x360ce recognises the 'Steamified' x360 controller but I just cant get it to work in BB at all.... Cry How does BB use DirectX to search for the controller?

Hey. It's been a bit since I've been on the forums, but I wanted to ask a musing question. Is it possible, maybe even probable, that creating a full Xinput implementation would solve multiple problems, not just the Steam Link one? My major bugaboos are the weirdness that is XBoxOne's current configuration and running BB through Steam using the Steam Controller.

Jason Carr said Hey, @Bedwyr, good to see you. Yes, it is certainly possible, which is why it's on the short list right now (per the most recent email I sent out). Hoping to get to at least give it a shot before the next official release.
Which email was that? I got a series that came from bitbucket while I was in a meeting with a research professor. We were talking about Github and project planning, expecting an email of his when they came in. I got flustered and deleted them. Happens when there's multiple software projects going on. Either way, good to hear. I'm still trying to figure out the status of the Steam Controller and what, exactly, it does when Steam is either running or not running. Valve refers to the not-running mode as "Lizard mode" referring to the rudimentary emotional human brain ("lizard brain"). A number of redditors and Steam fans suggest that Lizard Mode is a combination mouse-and-keyboard in HID rather than Xinput... but maaybe it runs through Xinput when Steam is running?? I dunno. It's hard to get answers and you know how Valve is.

We send out a weekly Newsletter more or less that has pertinent information inside. For now it usually contains anything going on with the site, with LaunchBox, our YouTube channel or anything else we think our users should know about. Hopefully we can find ways to extend what is inside so that we keep sending only 1 a week too so that some users who don't like clutter don't get e-mails like they do from BitBucket and the Forums.

Bedwyr said I'm still trying to figure out the status of the Steam Controller and what, exactly, it does when Steam is either running or not running. Valve refers to the not-running mode as "Lizard mode" referring to the rudimentary emotional human brain ("lizard brain"). A number of redditors and Steam fans suggest that Lizard Mode is a combination mouse-and-keyboard in HID rather than Xinput... but maaybe it runs through Xinput when Steam is running?? I dunno. It's hard to get answers and you know how Valve is.
I have found that if you launch an Emu/Game through Big Picture, the controller is treated as an Xinput device, but if you close/minimize Big Picture (returning to Desktop), it turns into that 'Lizard' mode with keyboard&mouse emulation.. So, BB works great if you run it from the Desktop in the 'Lizard' mode (using it as Keyboard & Mouse), but the problem raises as you launch any game that requires controller support - it doesn't find a controller as the controller is still treated as Keyboard & Mouse. The only way to get the controller working through Steam Link as an Xinput controller is to run Emu/Game through Big Picture, the problem there is of course that BB doesn't currently support Xinput so you need a physical keyboard/mouse to bridge from Big Picture -> BB -> Emu/Game. Eagerly looking forward to the Xinput support in BB! Smile Cheers, PJ

• 2 years later...