LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch - hotkey to save/load state

Billy B.

I just recently purchased and setup LaunchBox. It's working perfectly for gaming on the couch. For now, I just have some SNES games loaded up, but I plan on adding a lot more soon. I'm using RetroArch and the Snes9x Next core. I'd like to be able to save/load a state in my games using my DS4 controller. Maybe using an analog stick button (L3), since it's not used for SNES games. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, -Billy B.

In RA no, you need a program to map keyboard to controller functions. Save State button is F2 and Load State is F4. An alternative is that there is supposed to be a way you can get back to the RA menu with just controller buttons, I think its several of them pressed at the same time, and from there you can just save state like normal.

That is probably the most useful thing I've found in RA to date. Before I figured out that you could use that toggle setting to mode-shift the controller, I had savestates mapped to the d-pad (XInput controller). Up to load, down to save, and L/R to change the savestate number. It worked fine, but I had friends who would instinctively try to go to the d-pad for NES controls and get weirded out when it didn't work. Which is completely understandable! Now a right-stick click + d-pad does the trick and the controller is now much more flexible.
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...

This is a huge necro, but I found this thread while searching google for retroarch savestate hotkeys and just wanted to say that I'm pretty disappointed that retroarch doesn't let use a dedicated hotkey to select each slot using a number like "slot 0, save" slot 0 load" "slot 1 save" "slot 2 load".  The way they have you use the + and - keys to move up and down the savestate ladder makes it difficult for me.  Especially since I'm using some overlays and shaders and have no idea which save slot i'm even at.  lol.