LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Desmume save games

Drybonz

Cannot save games in Retroarch Desmume. I think there is something about setting the saves from auto to manual that might fix this, but for the life of me cannot find this setting anywhere in the core options. If anyone knows the fix for this, I appreciate it. Thanks.

This is actually a case where I don't use RetroArch and instead I use Desmume Standalone or Desmume X432R instead. I will say that what you may expect based on the standalone in RetroArch can be wildly different. If you already changed this save setting elsewhere in Core Options, then it is a setting for that core not the rest of them. If it was a setting you changed outside of core options then look in your other setting menu's.

I agree with you, I think I'm going to go back to the standalone desmume... I'm noticing little graphical glitches in the Retroarch version that aren't in the standalone as well. The only thing I miss is the start in fullscreen, but that's pretty minor. *edit* Actually, I think I'm going to try out the X432R version you mentioned if I can find the latest version.

• 3 weeks later...
Has the save issue been sorted, or does anyone know if there is a fix? I'm thinking of setting up DS in LB soon myself and was thinking of using Retroarch because it apparently has support for controlling the stylus with one of the analog sticks. Something the standalone version does not (from what I've read, but I could be wrong?). If not, what solutions do other people have for the stylus? I got my HTPC set up in the living room and would prefer to be using the gamepad as much as possible. :)

Personally, I stick with Desmume in standalone form. As far as a save bug, I haven't heard of one. For the stylus, If I needed to I just use the mouse, or mouse and controller. I've used the left side of a controller before. Also, most games have stylus support but a majority of games use a d-pad and face buttons still too. For a game like Legend of Zelda you can use the mouse and the left side of your controller; Or right side if you're left handed with a mouse. As far as Filters for the X432R version you need to be using Direct3D or DirectX backends if I recall. It should be an option.

SentaiBrad said Personally, I stick with Desmume in standalone form. As far as a save bug, I haven't heard of one. For the stylus, If I needed to I just use the mouse, or mouse and controller. I've used the left side of a controller before. Also, most games have stylus support but a majority of games use a d-pad and face buttons still too. For a game like Legend of Zelda you can use the mouse and the left side of your controller; Or right side if you're left handed with a mouse. As far as Filters for the X432R version you need to be using Direct3D or DirectX backends if I recall. It should be an option.
Hmm... might have to see when it comes to it if I can get the save issue (whatever it is) to work since I would rather not use the mouse unless the game is unplayable without it. If for some games having the mouse on the right analog stick is slightly clunky, then I can probably live with it and it would be better than having to use the mouse on the couch or drag out a book or something to have it on.

You could use Xpadder or other controller remapping software to map the mouse movement to your right thumbstick and map either the press of the stylus (mouse button 1) to either when you click in the right mouse button or one of the secondary triggers. Pressing and dragging or flicking might not work to well.