LaunchBox Community Forums

Streaming Launchbox through Steam to another PC in LAN

breachless

Hey all, There may not be a good way to do this, but I wondered if anyone else has had any success with this. I have Launchbox set up on a dedicated box in my family room and it's all set up and running exactly how I want it to. Being a big fan of Steams streaming option, I figured I would try adding Launchbox as a non-steam game on that dedicated PC so I could stream it and run my emulators from my upstairs PC every now and then. It does launch remotely, but the UI seems a little weird. Mouse clicks don't always register, which I can get around. The games launch fine and look fine, but trying to use my 360 or Xbox One controller on the remote PC, I noticed every time I hit the B button, it backs out of the game and goes back to the Launchbox frontend. This obviously won't work as the B button is heavily used in-game for many many games. Has anybody else tried to do this? If so, what was your experience? Maybe I am just trying for force a square peg into a round hole?

@breachless The Steam Link uses Steam's normal In-Home Streaming tech on top of some basic necessary hardware to make it work. While the majority of the posts here have revolved around the Steam Link specifically, the information is still applicable for normal In-Home Streaming usage via laptops and such as the functionality is basically identical. With that said, you can absolutely use LB/BB over IHS. The only real issue currently is that IHS requires Xinput support in applications in order for controller inputs to be recognized correctly and LB/BB don't currently use Xinput though Jason said he's working on that. Keyboard inputs work with it, however, and once the emulator is actually launched, assuming the emulator uses Xinput (things like RetroArch, PCSX2, and others do) the controller functions normally during play. You'll just have to use keyboard inputs for LB/BB navigation. Regarding the specific issue you're having, what you need to do is go into your Steam Big Picture settings -> controller -> configurations -> desktop configuration -> browse configs -> community -> Xbox 360 Gamepad (I used to recommend Captain Keeb's bindings but I'm not seeing it in the list anymore). Basically what this does is configures the controller so that it only functions as a normal controller and doesn't switch to desktop controls (which is what's causing it to send an ESC signal when you hit the "B" button). You may want to check out this thread I posted in on the Steam Link forums - I go over some things that you need to do to overcome some issues you'll likely run into. If you try the above and read over that thread and are still having any problems let me know - I'm happy to help.