LaunchBox Community Forums

Keeping the roms full name

pasteko

Hello, The first roms I'm trying to import have the name stripped, Aladdin (Europe).zip Aladdin (Japan).zip Aladdin (USA).zip all three became just Aladdin, how can I differentiate them ? Setting the region manually is not an option, too much work for all the roms I have. Thanks for your help.

Well honestly, a majority of users don't want that many versions of a game, most users are going to take the USA or European version. As such, LaunchBox filters out anything between ( ) and [ ]. If I have a game where I need / want multiple versions, I'll manually specify. Disc, Disk and Side are something that do get lost because of this usually, however these are going to get parsed eventually. Another thing to keep in mind, metadata scraping needs to be accurate. Aladdin on SNES exists, Aladdin Japan on SNES doesn't, so if it tried to search the second option it would just result back no games.

pasteko, I feel your pain. I too prefer all regions since some do vary from each other. Take Kenseiden for Master System for example. The main character looks different in all three versions. His outfit and hair color are different in all three. See here for an example: http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2009/09/fun-sega-master-system-trivia-part-1.html It may be a small difference, but it's for reasons like this that I like to have the ROM from each regionSmile

After a little search just found another topic talking about the same problem : https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/import-roms-from-files-not-whole-filename-imported Anybody with full rom sets will have this problem, just tried the software in the other topic but I think this should be integrated in LaunchBox, tried many launchers before buying LaunchBox, BigBox Mode is fine but my dream is something like that with joypad support : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G02IpZPa8U

pasteko @alexis254 I've mentioned it before and I know it's not an automated solution for imports, but remember that you can use additional applications to achieve this for now. For example, create one game for it, and then add additional applications that point to the various versions of the ROMs. "Play US Version", "Play Japan Version", etc. Only problem is you have to set it up manually, the imports won't do it automatically.