LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Front Art missing

Rekster

Hello, As my first post here I first want to commend the author on this product, been having a lot of fun setting it up and figuring out the various pieces of the puzzle. Most systems seem to populate artwork well, and the entries that don't seem to work out I'm able to sort out by tweaking the names or just entering art manually. So to the point, I'm still having issues pulling 'front' art specifically with Mame. Less than 50% of the roms are pulling in 'front' art. They do appear to scrape a few screenshots and other artwork but the front art is missing. I'm using the new LB database(thanks for this by the way!), wikipedia and also emumovies as sources. My question is, are these results normal and to be expected for full Mame collections? If so, is there a fast way to swap out alternate artwork as the front rather than going through each rom one by one? If it's not normal, any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong? I'm including a screenshot as an example of what I'm ending up with. Let me know. Thanks! screenshot.png

So none of the sources we use are perfect, and I am fairly sure in saying EmuMovies isn't close either. We are working on adding in two more major scrapers in the future, MobyGames and GiantBomb, which will hopefully help cover european releases, japanese releases, DOS systems and MAME systems a lot more. Some of the more obscure platforms may not have any good solution ever. If you have an EmuMovies Premium account I believe there are more resources available to you, but I still don't think that covers every MAME game. There is a website or two that have good MAME Metadata, but we are unsure if we can utilize them. So in the future if there is a website that will allow us to use their data and has an API we'd be all over that, but for now what you see is what you get. As for supplanting your own images. Go to your LaunchBox root folder, here is your images folder. Inside that it sorted by System, then inside a system it is sorted by type of image. You can manually supply your images here as long as the name follows the naming convention. You can see images in here should be named the same name as the game. It may work if some images have ( ) or [ ] as these are ignored in LaunchBox. So if you have or find an images pack and the names match the names in LaunchBox, putting them inside should work just fine. Put the images in and restart LB. I am unsure if they can be named after the rom... it might be just the name in LB, but I don't know, I haven't tested that.

If that's the case, you could gave potentially hit the EmuMovies 1GB a day transfer limit. Either go there and make posts with your account (20+ gets you more per day, and 50+ gets you that much more), or donate to lift it as well. An alternative is to wait a day or wait a few hours to see if it was a bug too. To re-scan a library of games, have the system you want to re-scan selected on the left. Ctrl + A to highlight all of the games. Then go to Tools -> Download Images and Metadata. This will re-run the scraping wizard for you. Just make sure to select to only download metadata for games that are missing metadata. This way it will only download what you need and not everything all over again.

Unfortunately there isn’t Artwork avaible for every MAME game. But the most complete set in case of MAME artwork should be probably the Progetto packages. You can find them here: http://www.progettosnaps.net/flyers/ Since MAME requires mandatory filenames you only have to move the flyers from Progetto into your folder for the MAME front covers. Then open Launchbox -> Tools -> Refresh All Images and you should have most of the MAME covers.

CriticalCid said Unfortunately there isn’t Artwork avaible for every MAME game. But the most complete set in case of MAME artwork should be probably the Progetto packages. You can find them here: http://www.progettosnaps.net/flyers/ Since MAME requires mandatory filenames you only have to move the flyers from Progetto into your folder for the MAME front covers. Then open Launchbox -> Tools -> Refresh All Images and you should have most of the MAME covers.
Are they named after the rom's or game names?

Thanks all for the input! By the amount of response here I think I made a wise choice investing in this product over all the rest. :) I just tried rescraping and it filled in about 1/2 of the missing covers so it's an improvement for sure. Maybe I did hit some kind of limit..

In my Arcade image folder all the images are named after the game name now it LauncBox will change the images name from the ROM name to the games name I don't know since it can now parse the ROM names as the title name maybe this is possible. @CriticalCid have you actually done this and know for sure it works?

Thanks, I'll check it out as well!
CriticalCid said I can ensure you that it works. For me it works perfectly fine with the files named like the MAME ROMS. The files at EmuMovies are named like the ROMs too. So I guess Jason integrated that feature along with the EmuMovies support.

Ok, tried the progretto images, refreshed and they worked great, most roms now populated. Thanks much for the info CriticalSid! However still a bunch missing. I'm assuming that's because my roms are at 0.161 and the image set was for 0.170. Would that be a logical conclusion? I suppose I have a new project getting my roms updated now, which is all good. One additional question on this subject. I also pulled all the video snaps over from progretto and both Launchbox and BigBox are only playing back audio, no video. I noticed it was using Windows Media Player when I right-clicked on the black video box so I uninstalled Windows Media Player and then nothing at all - no video or audio. Just put back WMP and now only audio no video again. I assume LB and BB depend on WMP and can't use VLC or anything else? Let me know and let me know any thoughts about the lack of video with the audio on the video snaps. It almost feels like a plugin issue although the videos do play back correctly with the standalone Windows Media Player. Really appreciate all your help. Thanks! Screen-Shot-2016-02-29-at-1.06.44-PM.png

Audio and video is using basic Windows functions to be able to ensure most users can run it. To help make sure everything is good though download the K-Lite Codec Pack from http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm If it gives you any pop-ups saying it wants to fix something, click Yes. Run this, you might need to restart your PC or LB and see if that fixes it. CriticalCid also created a tutorial on how to update MAME roms: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/best-practice-for-keeping-mame-roms-up-to-date/page-2#p11536 Give that a read and grab the software. I just did it this morning after getting 400GB of MAME Rom's. I know a lot about Emulation and LaunchBox, it's my job, but I can't dedicate my time every day to something so it is really awesome when someone like Cid, who already did all this, shares with us.

There are several reasons I could think off why you don’t have pictures for all games: 1. Your assumption is right. Updating to 0.170 or 0.171 would definitely get more artwork to work in LaunchBox. 2. For some games there exists no artwork yet. 3. The Progetto package could feature only specific versions/clones of several games. Dependent on your import settings in LaunchBox you probably have some game versions imported which aren’t covered by Progetto.