LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch doesn't work with GBC core

JHorbach

CRT shaders for 2D sprite based games and just straight upscaling for 3D polygonal games is the way to go for my tastes. I find it funny that you see real hardware enthusiasts trying to clean up their output signal as much as possible to the point that they are investing money into RGB modding their consoles and buying PVMs or upscalers like the Framemeister for modern TVs. And then you have the emulation people looking to recreate the crappy old with the terrible RF connection.

lordmonkus said CRT shaders for 2D sprite based games and just straight upscaling for 3D polygonal games is the way to go for my tastes. I find it funny that you see real hardware enthusiasts trying to clean up their output signal as much as possible to the point that they are investing money into RGB modding their consoles and buying PVMs or upscalers like the Framemeister for modern TVs. And then you have the emulation people looking to recreate the crappy old with the terrible RF connection.
Well I don't think people who use emulators are trying to make it look crappy, the image quality is still super clear compared to any Digital based signal but they want to re-create and make their mind think it's the real thing and nostalgic. It might have something to do with collectors being collectors and most emulator users just wanting that nostalgic fix. The collector wants to make it look as best as possible and the nostalgic user wants to be transported back in time? Clearly though this isn't the case for everyone. I have a great games collection but none of my consoles are RGB modded nor do I own a Framemeister... though I do, I just can't afford it. Not to mention my emulation I want it all upscaled and crips like it's being ran through RGB and a Framemeister. I love collecting this stuff but I all always want it to look as best as possible regardless of emulation or real hard ware.

Oh I know everyone has their own personal preferences and I don't mean people are trying to make it look crappy. I just meant I see a lot people over on the Retroarch forums and other places using shaders to recreate that old 80s basement TV and RF connection look to recreate that memory. And that's fine if that's what the person wants. Some people even like to stretch the old 4:3 aspect ratio games out to fill a 16:9 and use smoothing shaders, not my taste at all but meh, not me playing it. Personally I love the middle ground of a CRT shader to recreate a PVM or high end consumer TV. To me that is what the art style of older pre 3D era games were designed for and it just feels right, and like I said 3D polygonal stuff looks best upscaled because polygons are suited for it unlike sprites. None of my old consoles are modded and I will never drop the cash on a Framemeister. I much prefer playing my games through an emulator. Things are gonna get really interesting with the new monitors coming out, all of the really good CRT shaders are not meant to be displayed on a 1080 resolution screen. Shaders like the CRT-Royale are meant for 1440 and up. My monitor is only 1080 and the CRT shaders look decent on it but I am very interested in seeing it on a higher res monitor. Even the hardcore CRT / PVM guys are saying the new low latency high resolution displays and shaders are going to be better than a proper CRT.