LaunchBox Community Forums

Any way to launch PC with mods?

Glass Joe

Of course there is, it just depends on what you are trying to launch. Let's take Fallout 4 for example, just edit F4's game entry in LaunchBox to point towards the F4SE loader or the Nexus Mod Manager and launch F4SE through that. If there is a mod loader for something simply just edit the entry. You also don't need to replace the default double click either, you can add anything you want as an Additional Application. Edit a game and click the Additional Application tab. In here add the mod loader exe or what ever it takes to load the mods. You can add what ever you want to LaunchBox.

What game and mods specifically ? I would imagine as long as the game launches with whatever mods it would work. Something like Skyrim launches with its mods already as like most every other PC game. Unless the PC game needs some oddball external command it shouldn't be a problem and even then it's probably doable with the command line options within Launchbox for each game.

Glass Joe said What I meant is, is there a way to launch directly into a game with mods loaded but bypassing the mod manager? With New Vegas and NMM as an example. Not a big deal if not, just curious for games that use the controller. My mistake, I should've clarified what I meant. New to LB btw, but I'm loving it. Getting all my games set up on the big screen, buying the lifetime pass as soon as I can afford it.
Well if you are playing the Bethesda Games you should be using the Script Extenders (I mod these games a lot, I have a modded F4 LP going on on my channel) so the F3SE, NVSE, SKSE, F4SE etc etc. These are essential for modding and they simply go in to your root game install. Either make an additional application or replace the exe in a game entry with the Script Extender launcher. This will bypass the NMM. Even then, if you launch the games from their regular launchers it'll be fine, the mods still load. Edit: Launching your games normally is fine if your games don't require the Script Extender in which case you need to launch from that.

• 6 years later...

Just import or change the imported games exe to the skse exe. As far as I am aware Mod Organizer and Vortex do not launch the game with any special command line parameters.

If you have multiple profiles for different mod lists then I don't know how you would go about working around that since you need to swap profiles in the mod manager.

Try it out and see.

I don't use Mod Organizer though I have used it in the past, I use Vortex and I just loaded my modded Skyrim using the skse_loader.exe with Vortex closed and the game loaded up with all mods.

Both mod managers use a virtual folder structure for their modding so I see no reason why this also would not work when using Mod Organizer. Both managers are just using a shortcut to the skse_loader.exe in their UI.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply. It doesn't work. I launched skse64_loader.exe through Launchbox adding it as an additional app for Skyrim Anniversary Edition. It got to the main menu and the first thing I noticed was my custom main menu background was missing. It also said thanks for buying the Anniversary Edition and had a download button in the middle. I already have purchased the AE version for Skyrim and downloaded the update through the game so it was trying to get me to do that again basically.

Only possible things I can think of off the top of my head would be either MO2 does something different than Vortex and it needs to launch the game from MO2 or maybe if you installed SKSE using MO2 that might causing the issue since the skse_loader would be in a virtual folder.

I manually installed SKSE out of old habits and I just tried importing and launching SKSE via Launchbox and it worked without issues. I even swapped to two different profiles and closed Vortex and the game loaded up with the correct profile each time.

My advice at this point would be to try and ask the MO2 devs about launching your game via shortcut outside of MO2 and see if they have an answer for you.

• Like 1