LaunchBox Community Forums

General lagginess using LaunchBox

BombChel534

So far I really like this thing and am happy with how it all works but I've noticed a weird choppiness just using the program in general. I'm running Windows 10 with an AMD 6 core processor, with 8gb RAM, and some crazy beast of a video card I'm not sure the specifics of rn. Pretty much nothing else runs with any issues; once I launch a game or emulator they run just fine. I'm not sure how else to explain it as I'm not really sure what the problem is. Moving the cursor around occasionally 'hiccups', and it will often do this while I'm trying to click on a game or something so I have to wait a second to see if the program even registered the click. Even with LaunchBox open if I'm using my mouse over another window (like Chrome for example) nothing unusual happens. I tried increasing the RAM cache thing to a gig and that didn't seem to make any difference. *shrug* anyone else encountered this?

How many games do you have and did you just import a bunch? Are you looking at the "All" tab on the left? Ideally LaunchBox can always use more optimization, but there are a few things that can cause some lag with gigantic libraries (I have 20k myself). If you just added a bunch of recently got a lot of metadata for your systems it may be trying to cache all of your images, which take a while. The more powerful a CPU the faster this can go, but at a certain point it just takes some time. While this process is going you need to just wait, and scroll through your library while it caches all the images (scrolling though makes it go faster then just waiting). If you're looking at all of your games, then try looking at just 1 system and see if it still is a bit laggy here too. Unlikely, but possible, software could be out of date or conflicting with LaunchBox as well.

I only have around 30 games set up thus far, and the program still experiences these hiccups even if i'm focused on a platform with only a couple games. But now, here's a weird one for you. I hooked up my Dual Shock 4 to see if I still experienced the hiccups using the trackpad on it, and the problem seems to be cured? Even after disabling the controller again, there's no more input lag while using LB. I'm so confused right now, but I guess it is fine and better not to question things?? >.>;

Jason Carr said By the way, @BombChel534, what were you using as a controller back when you were having the issue? Anything?
There was no controller active at the time, was only mouse/keyboard. I use my DS4 via Bluetooth so I only connect it when I'm gonna play something that works better with a gamepad because PC Master Race. :P Also randomly had the slowdown issue again today, and again it disappeared when I connected the controller. *shrug* Wish I knew what exactly was up so I could submit a proper bug report with repro steps