LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamcast GDI and compression

shenglong

I have been testing many different ways to play dreamcast games through launchbox. pointing to a .GDI file inside the game folder works fine. pointing to an .ISO works as well..... pointing to a zipped .ISO works as well..... my issue is a way to compress the .GDI and its respective files. I have tried to compress the folder containing the files which worked with Hyperspin.. but doesn't work with launchbox...... I then tried compressing the files not in a folder and pointing to the .zip and that also didn't work. I believe it has something to do with the fact that after launchbox decompresses the files it doesn't load the .GDI... any help is appreciated

shenglong said space is very important because I am putting this on a kangaroo mini pc.... everything adds up.. compressing these would be a big help
Fact is that there may not be an easy solution and because of the setup with GDI files there may not be a solution unfortunately. Looking at the GDI files, they are essentially cue sheets... but not quite. For my DDR game:
3 1 0 4 2352 track01.bin 0 2 600 0 2352 track02.raw 0 3 45000 4 2352 track03.bin 0
So you could try raring or zipping the bin files that accompany the GDI (or any other files you may have) but you'll need to edit the GDI file, and I do not know if this will work. I've never tested this and it's a hunch.

thank you for taking the time to look into it....... what do you think hyperspin is doing to direct the emulator to the GDI file once the folder is unzipped? also I thought of using .cdi images but demul doesn't read them.. which seems to be the best of the emulators

• 1 year later...

Here is the command line I use for Demul to run GDI games: (this example is for plasma sword)

demul.exe -run=dc -customrom="roms\dc.zip" -image="gdis\plasma sword\disc.gdi" 

This alows demul to find the dreamcast bios (custom rom) and then run the image from any folder (my gdi images are in gdis folder)

also to make Demul portable just edit the ini file: demul.ini

change all paths like this example:

From this  = C:\Emulators\Demul07a\memsaves\vms00.bin

To this       = .\memsaves\vms00.bin

Edited by SiAux