LaunchBox Community Forums

Successfully merge two disc psx game

Izzy

That would be interesting to say the least. I know Sony has a solution digitally for all of their games, but it's all one package then you just open the settings and "swap discs". This would be awesome, we all know that multiple discs are just a relic of what was and we certainly don't need them anymore and can actually get rid of them. Albeit that's a lot more tricky... but still. Thanks for sharing.

niglurion said I use .PBP files for every multiple discs games and it's working great (with ePSXe, I don't think it's working with Mednafen for the time being). You can choose the disc you want when requested. All with PSX2PSP. It's very easy.
Yea it's essentially the method I was talking about, the Sony solution.

No, no need to apologize at all. Actually, they're the same thing. PSX2PSP (PSX annoys me btw... it's PS1... :P) is a fan created tool for modded PSP's to put PS1 games on the PSP. However, it's the same exact system that Sony uses. So that settings swapping feature is still at the root of it all. They created the system for PS3 and PSP. If it's available for PS2 games on PS4 I haven't come across that yet as no PS1 games are on PS4... at least yet. But they are certainly he same thing, just this is now adapted for emulator use too apparently.

I have used these in the past and I just have to suggest to avoid Final Fantasy 8 and 9. The image ends up being a DVD5 image, which ePSXe can't read at least and either the user will have to use an old 1.70 version of the emulator or not be able to play it. I am not sure if these are more then these two, but with these two I ended having problems, which made me stop using these kits. But they are quite useful if the game you are playing does not have a save during the swap disk phase. If it does, I honestly prefer to save there, close the game and start the next disk.

weltall said I have used these in the past and I just have to suggest to avoid Final Fantasy 8 and 9. The image ends up being a DVD5 image, which ePSXe can't read at least and either the user will have to use an old 1.70 version of the emulator or not be able to play it. I am not sure if these are more then these two, but with these two I ended having problems, which made me stop using these kits. But they are quite useful if the game you are playing does not have a save during the swap disk phase. If it does, I honestly prefer to save there, close the game and start the next disk.
Save States also work too.

It looks like the Retroarch Mednafen PSX core is getting support for PBP files. Just updated the core and I noticed when I loaded the core it says (PBP Test) in the core name. I haven't tried to merge any multi disk games to try this feature out yet. Edit: Ok I just tried this out by merging Lunar - Silver Star Story Complete. I merged the 2 disks into a single PBP file and it loaded just fine in Retroarch. So far though the extent of my test is just to load the image, I have no idea how it would handle the game further in once you get to the point where it would want to switch disks.

• 2 weeks later...
Just for confirmation I asked over on the Retroarch forums if the new PBP support in the latest PSX core worked with merged multi disk games and they said yes it does. So feel free to merge your Lunars and Final Fantasys and any other multi disk games into one nice and easy to manage PBP and enjoy the goodness. But as always keep a backup of your individual images just in case.

It doesn't launch right in LB without that command, but in other emulators save states should work fine with swapping discs. Also, trying to make PBP's for RetroArch and I got a runtime error for RA... not a blank screen or opening and closing... a straight runtime error.

I don't know what tool you are using to merge your disks. I used PSX2PSP v1.4.2, chose the disk images in the ISO/PBP drop down menu. Picked the output folder and clicked convert, let it do its thing then just renamed the finished output file to what I wanted it to be. I could then load the PBP file in Retroarch itself and I could import it into Launchbox and load it that way. I also tested loading it using ePSXe on its own (not through Launchbox) and on load it let me choose which disk and it loaded fine. This is as far as I went with the test.

Ahh ok, I thought you meant you edited the cue sheet to point to the PBP instead of the bin file. Probably a stupid question but you did select all your disk images for each of the File #s in psx2psp right ? I'm sure you did but I have to ask so please don't slap me lolPSX2PBP.jpg