LaunchBox Community Forums

retroarch mednafen ps1 struggles

bmonomad

Hi guys, I've been trying to setup mednafen as a backup for games that dont work with epsxe. In retroarch, I installed the core, re-inputted the system folder path, and made sure the bios files are all lower case (i think I read somewhere they were case-sensitive). So...when I try to launch a .cue from within retroarch, mednafen loads but just shows a black screen. It has fps counter and menu, but the game didn't load. I replicated this with about 6 other games. I also tried from within launchbox, as well as just through retroarch directly, with the same result. Any advice on where to look? Thank you!

Do you have all 3 bios files ? scph1001, scph5500 and scph5502 are the 3 you need, one of them is just another version but renamed but I forget which one exactly. Are your cue sheets set up correctly matching the bin the bin file name ? (I trust you but im just asking) I am trying to think what would cause a black screen, usually it either works or crashes and the 3 main causes of things not working are wrong bios or wrong folder path or bad rips of the game. Check out my covering PS, Sega CD and TG CD systems and getting all 3 setup. Be sure and check the video description for extras if you need them. https://youtu.be/jXSrVEU7cWc

Check out our official tutorials with the link in my signature. We've covered PS1 already with RetroArch. The BIOS need to be scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin and scph5502.bin with the scph5501 coming from scph1001. This is the most likely reason that you're getting a blank screen.

thanks @sentaibrad and @lordmonkus all fixed. You were right brad, it was the bios. I copied the prior bios from my epsxe bios directory, and made the changes, and that's when I was getting the blank screen. All is fixed due to monkus's link. Cheers.

bmonomad said thanks @sentaibrad and @lordmonkus all fixed. You were right brad, it was the bios. I copied the prior bios from my epsxe bios directory, and made the changes, and that's when I was getting the blank screen. All is fixed due to monkus's link. Cheers.
Glad to hear. If you have any more issues check out our channel, we have tons of Tutorials for lots of systems with more coming.

• 1 year later...

I know Its an old topic, but wanted to say thanks, I had the same problem of black screen because of bad dumps of these bios in retroarch (that worked with another emulators) It´s such a cool thing that here in the launchbox forums we noobs get such detailed info :D.

• Like 1