LaunchBox Community Forums

Thank goodness for LaunchBox's DOS install wizard!

AutumnSounds

I've been trawling through my old DOS game CDs I haven't touched in decades. Now I'm actually really grateful that LaunchBox can create an image of my discs as I install them after popping these old, sometimes battered, discs into my rarely used BlueRay burner and seeing it struggle to read some of them. It's sad to think that discs won't be around or usable forever. But at least I now have a kinda backup of the discs. <3 DSC_0158.JPG

This is an interesting topic that I would like to give my perspective on. Discs are an obsolete format. Fact. Many people myself included don't even have a disc drive in their computers any more. But thankfully someone has already done the work to make sure these old games don't get lost. All of these games are readily available online if you search around enough. So even if you find yourself losing or destroying all of your discs, you can easily just download them within a few minutes, and these versions will function pretty much identically. This does create a legal grey area with downloading the games (which is unfortunate), but my view is that in general downloading old games is completely fine. What I love about Launchbox is that it allows one to completely digitalize their retro game collection, making these old mediums (most of which are not readable anyway) obsolete, kind of like a customizable version of steam for old games.

Warcraft 2.. I still remember how shocked I was to see it play much faster on my 486@33MHz.. I remember Warcraft 1 being all slow and pixelated, where Warcraft 2 was so clear and fast. I have absolutely no idea up to today why that happened. Sadly thought, Warcraft 2 hasn't had such an impact on me. But either way, there is no such thing as a grey area. You are either owner of the original game, that you have a copy of, or you are pirating it. If someone checks the discs (or disks if we go even more back XD) and they have 100% same content as your media, then all are ok. If not, then it is pirated. Obviously no one would be so paranoid to go to such extremes with checking. The grey area only exists in the minds of people and not in the law. I believe getting old games is fine too. Depending on the "pocket power", either look for originals or emulated. But I believe new generation should experience the past, and take a peek at the age where games did not have the power to depend on graphics, but only gameplay and imagination.