LaunchBox Community Forums

Best playstation controllers?

Wolf_

I was setting up my ps2 and I noticed that on the main screen where it says "browser" and "system" none of the buttons I push do anything. Then I noticed when a game was loaded only my up/down arrows would do anything and not any of the buttons I pressed. So I'm fairly certain my controller is broken (unless there is some kind of button lock setting, I did try holding various combinations of [] /\ O and X while it was turning on to enable 480p but I don't think that caused some kind of button lockout) So I was looking into different playstation controllers and I know that dualshock seem to be the most popular but there are many versions and I don't know anything about them so can anyone clear this up at all? Thanks for the help.

I know PS2 can go forward, PS3 controllers can only be used on PC and oddly 360 (with adapters, and the 360 can work on PS3 with adapters), but realistically the best Sony controller is a PS4 controller (What I use on PC). The feel is the best. In terms of your controller, you're just gonna need to buy a new controller and most 3rd parties suck in this era and back. They're generally more flimsy, and you can still even find PS2 controllers in the packaging. If you want to make it better, they make things like thumbstick caps to make the stick concave instead of convex and add some extra texture to it. Since PS3 and PS4 controllers use USB they don't go back much. The usb port on a PS2 is mostly useless unless you mod it. PS4 controllers work on PS3, but barely. The Home button doesn't work on the PS4 controller and it doesn't work in most games. It could also be your PS2 controller port, so testing the other port or controller would just be your best bet.

SentaiBrad said I know PS2 can go forward, PS3 controllers can only be used on PC and oddly 360 (with adapters, and the 360 can work on PS3 with adapters), but realistically the best Sony controller is a PS4 controller (What I use on PC). The feel is the best. In terms of your controller, you're just gonna need to buy a new controller and most 3rd parties suck in this era and back. They're generally more flimsy, and you can still even find PS2 controllers in the packaging. If you want to make it better, they make things like thumbstick caps to make the stick concave instead of convex and add some extra texture to it. Since PS3 and PS4 controllers use USB they don't go back much. The usb port on a PS2 is mostly useless unless you mod it. PS4 controllers work on PS3, but barely. The Home button doesn't work on the PS4 controller and it doesn't work in most games. It could also be your PS2 controller port, so testing the other port or controller would just be your best bet.
From what I've researched it sounds like dualshock 2 is the best controller for ps1 & 2, Dualshock 3 a1 is the best for the ps3, and dualshock 4 is the best for ps4.