LaunchBox Community Forums

Escape key not closing emulator?

SentaiBrad

I don't use Nestopia but does it even use the Esc key to close the emulator? If it does and you are just pressing Esc then nothing has changed since adding Nestopia to LaunchBox. If you are using the Controller Automation make sure you have them enabled. If there is a dialogue that pops up when you press Esc so then it stops there see if there is an option to turn that off otherwise there is nothing we can do about the dialogue. You didn't exactly provide a lot of information so I tried to cover a few possibilities.

No problem. Sorry if I wasn't of any real help in this case, but if there is no option in Nestopia to turn that setting off (so that it closes the emu instead of bringing up a menu) then there is probably not much we can do unless you wanna get in to more complicated AutoHotKey scripts. With RetroArch though (which I use for most systems in those tutorials), F1 brings up the menu (which you need a lot) and Esc will close the emulator. The Tutorial that just went up today is for SNES, but it is a back to basics tutorial and you can apply what you learn there to other cores, so I would suggest watching that tutorial if you need some help.

Here is my fix... i am a new convert to RA. so ill say it works fine,, and it is what im using ow for NES emu. with "nestopia_libretro.dll" and all is ok. but if you want to use the emulator and exit. try this AHK. SCRIPT ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- RButton::esc ; ----= [ .Esc = Alt-F4 toggle ] =---- +Esc:: Hotkey, Esc, Toggle Return ; ========================================= ; ----= [ .Esc = Alt-F4 ] =---- Esc:: SetTitleMatchMode, 2 IfWinNotActive, Firefox Send !{F4} Else { Click left 760, 65 Send ^w } Return ; ========================================= ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I run this in my cab to close allot of emus....90% of them just keep in mind the opining script "RButton::esc" this is for mouse right click witch is set up on my mouse track ball so you will need to change it to your own "Hot Key" of choice. hope this helps... because i hate to rely on RA for everthing...and iv spent so long config other emus till other more advanced dll. get created IE: new dreamcast sucks balls.... hope this helps....

The Dreamcast core is being worked on just like most of them, it does suck though. N64, PS1 and Dreamcast onward is still iffy except for PS2 and GameCube / Wii. I say this as emulation in general as the PS2 era onward is not in RetroArch and probably never will be honestly. In RetroArch the AHK script is not specifically needed, there is even the controller automation if you want it done by a controller. The script is great for systems that have issues or have special ways to close down.

It is possible to see PS2 in Retroarch one day but not anytime soon since the only PS2 emulator really worth even talking about is PCSX2 and because of the horrendous patchwork hack job with all the plugins we won't ever see that in Retroacrh. The Retroarch team have even said this. Maybe some day we will have a better written PS2 emulator and incorporated into RA. Now don't get me wrong I fully appreciate what the PCSX2 does and I am more than happy it exists but it really is a hack job and not very accurate. Hopefully Retroarch gets their Dreamcast and Saturn emulation quality up sometime soon, the stand alone alternatives are not without their issues but I am not holding my breath for it to be on par any time soon.

If PS2 emulation was completely accurate none of us would be able to play it. I love PCSX2. Look at SNES, bsnes accuracy requires a 3Ghz CPU... so yea. True perfect emulation requires extremely powerful PC's. It's not a "hack" job, that would insinuate that they are dumb asses and they are extremely far from that.

Oh I agree that it would require an absolute beast of a system if it were 100% accurate. I guess hack job might be the wrong word for it. I meant it more as a massive patchwork of speed hacks and plugins just to get everything running the way it does. Many games require their own settings within the pile of different options to get things playing correctly. Compare it to the Dolphin emulator which just "feels" like a much more elegant emulator. I certainly didn't mean for it to insinuate they are dumb asses at all. The fact they have it running so well at all is amazing but it can be done better and one day will be. It's like how ZSnes used to be the go to SNES emulator for a long time but Snes9X and BSnes / Higan absolutely crush nowadays.