LaunchBox Community Forums

Couple of Noob Questions ...

synchromesh

If I purchase the Premium at $20 do I have to renew after 12 months or will the current version keep running ? Whatever I choose ... Once I have spent all the time setting it all up is there a backup feature if I ever upgrade my HDD for example or do you have to re setup from scratch ? If I decide to upgrade later how much more does it cost ? I have tried the Demo and its awesome .... Just need this info to decide to buy :) Thanks in advance

So the yearly license gives you updates for a year, but the program will still work after that point at the version you last had. If you upgrade past your year your premium will go away. If you want to upgrade to a lifetime license then you just pay the $30 difference, even after your year has expired. If you change hard drives or computers, your entire LaunchBox install is portable, just move it. Say your games are on drive F:/, and LaunchBox was on drive D:/. If you move LaunchBox from D:/ to... H:/, then everything should work just fine. If you move your games from F:/ to H:/, you'd need to open your LaunchBox.xml and use Notepad++ to Find and Replace the old drive letter with the new driver letter. So you'd search "F:/" and replace with "H:/", just to keep up with the example. If you left LaunchBox move your roms in to it's own structure (totally optional), then your games will use what's called relative pathing. So if your games are in the LB directories and you move LaunchBox, since it's portable, everything should work just fine. I personally keep all my games outside of LaunchBox myself, so if I move my roms (I am working on getting a bigger drive), I either change the new drive letter to the old one or edit my XML. There is a backup feature available, but if you have a giant library it can take a very long time to package everything up, so just moving LaunchBox works. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks Oregon All sounds great.... So I purchased :) Tried many launchers ( and even created my own ) but never found one with the ease of use setting up as Maximus arcade and the front as good as Hyperspin until now... Looking forward to getting in with the community ..

Thanks SentaiBrad.. I have been looking since I asked and the setups seem very complex ... Could be easier to simply run one of my own preloaded launchers through Launchbox ... Or ... A workbench preloaded with games perhaps ? Pretty sure that's easily possible without any problems ..

Potentially, sure. Anything can be run from within LaunchBox. The only thing you may need to know are the programs and systems command lines to make it run smoothly if need be. We have users who use BigBox and LaunchBox as their only UI in their machines. They tell Windows to not load explorer, and instead load our program. From there, they launch pretty much what ever they need for that machine that isn't related to the OS.

Ok so taking into consideration that users like it all self contained in Launchbox I did a bit of tweaking to make them standalone and copied them into Launchbox itself .... So wherever my launchbox folder Goes this comes with me pre configured and ready to run .. First attempt .... Need to create a new launcher though as it doesn't really go well with the look of Launchbox which is much better :) What do you think .... https://youtu.be/U9ojM7sEYvM