LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch Mednafen PSX specify mcr file location?

Hi, I recently began using LaunchBox and it seem quite cool. However I have a big issue. I want to play my PSX images from a READ-ONLY samba share that I have mapped to a drive letter on my Win10 laptop. The problem is that RetroArch launched from Launchbox seem to want to create and use a .mcr file from the location the game image file is stored. Obviously, RetroArch cannot write to this location and thus crash. I want to specify the location where to save and use .mcr files to a subfolder in either RetroArch or LaunchBox, which are stored locally on my laptop HDD. Is that possible? Thanks!

Yea this is totally a RetroArch thing, and I don't even remember what the MCR files are. Potentially files if you let RetroArch handle the saves? I think these are the equivalent of SRM files, which are going to get written even if you change that option anyways. I don't think there is any way to stop these from being written unless you let RetroArch control them and then tell it to use a specific location? I've never done this, I just remember reading these lines in the settings.

here is my question , do you use retro-arch for any other type of iso images like sega cd or saturn ? i have learned that retroarch has a problem when auto selecting image files. In order to remedy this i copied my retro arch directory and renamed it retroarch_PSX then went into the the add emulator option and added it as a different emulator called retro_psx ,after this i removed all other cores in my directory and only kept the cores related to the psx . i enabled the medefecn psx core and saved the config file and the problem was solved. i run my iso's from a linux server and mapped that as my I:\ i have all my games working fine and i can run it from my laptop or my living room pc as well as my bedroom pc

SentaiBrad said Yea this is totally a RetroArch thing, and I don't even remember what the MCR files are. Potentially files if you let RetroArch handle the saves? I think these are the equivalent of SRM files, which are going to get written even if you change that option anyways. I don't think there is any way to stop these from being written unless you let RetroArch control them and then tell it to use a specific location? I've never done this, I just remember reading these lines in the settings.
MCR files seem to be memory card images. RetroArch/Mednafen creates them individually for each game. Usually, you can specify their location in the core's cfg file.
shadowfire36 said here is my question , do you use retro-arch for any other type of iso images like sega cd or saturn ? i have learned that retroarch has a problem when auto selecting image files. In order to remedy this i copied my retro arch directory and renamed it retroarch_PSX then went into the the add emulator option and added it as a different emulator called retro_psx ,after this i removed all other cores in my directory and only kept the cores related to the psx . i enabled the medefecn psx core and saved the config file and the problem was solved. i run my iso's from a linux server and mapped that as my I:\ i have all my games working fine and i can run it from my laptop or my living room pc as well as my bedroom pc
I'm at the beginning of my setup configuration, I started with PSX but I do plan on adding other systems. I just want to tackle problems as they show up instead of just piling them on! I think I found the issue. It does seem the problem is only present in the few latest available builds. When using an external launcher (LaunchBox, Rocket Launcher, ...), RetroArch looks for a different cfg filename than what it normally use... This post describe it better. A simple fix would be to copy and rename the psx core cfg file but by doing so, I create the possibility of having 2 cfg files not in sync. I would prefer to have only one cfg file per core. Is there a RetroArch command line parameter that let me specify the cfg to use?

You should watch the tutorials on our YouTube channel, I cover quite a lot of that information. The link is in my signature and at the top of every forum page called tutorials. RetroArch should be using RetroArch.cfg no matter how you launched it. I even carry over my cfg and certain files when upgrading from version to version. In short though, yes there is a way to do that and it's a common method I teach. -L loads the core files and -c is the load config command. Configs should get saved in the config folder. Load your core, and on the first RetroArch menu select "Save new config". If there are no write permission issues it will create a config named after the core you had loaded based on the config you had loaded previously. Close down RA, and go to the Associated Platforms page when you edit RA in LaunchBox. Double click the default command line box for PS1, and you should see -L "cores\mednafen_psx_libretro.dll". Right after the last quotation mark add -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg". It should be named after the core, but it could decide to name it something different as I've had it do both, so just plug in the config name it gives you instead. If you have more questions feel free to ask.