LaunchBox Community Forums

Thoughts on having an online friends list similar to Steam?

Deimos

Would be great and useful for finding games for people who play multiplayer. It would also be nice to see what your friends are playing, share screenshots, stream, etc. It is asking a lot but how do you feel about a online component in the future? Will it be possible?

I would imagine this sort of implementation is a long ways off, if ever, but I actually think it'd be awesome should it ever materialize. I would personally be less interested in the potential multiplayer component (emulation and multiplayer have always been a bit of a tricky mix, in my experience) than I would be in simply having a friends list where we could see what each other was playing. It's kinda silly and fluffy I guess but I still think it'd be cool haha. It's probably unlikely that there would be a way to bridge between Launchbox and Steam, but Steam has basically all of those features built-in, including video streaming, so there might be something there - I wouldn't have a clue how to even attempt such a thing though. I think it's a cool idea regardless! It'd get my vote haha.

We simply couldn't pull off multiplayer, but there are free services out there that pull it off very very well, so if we could partner with one of them that could be killer. Otherwise, the rest of that stuff was what Jason wanted to do with the Cloud and Database portions of users "My Collections", and build some social aspects around that similar to Steam, and once the back end exists a lot of that could come to LaunchBox a lot easier. We had a resounding no when it came time to figure out what to do next, and that was one of the things Jason wanted to do. Almost every response was please do not do this. Realistically, our Database needs to be completely up to snuff before we think about attempting something like this I think, but as something that can one day happen? This is something we certainly think could be killer.