LaunchBox Community Forums

Best way to have HyperSpin and LB on the same machine

suspendedhatch

I have a nearly full 3TB HD on an old Core Duo. 3TB works out fine because it fits all the roms for the systems this machine can handle. I've been running HyperSpin for the past couple years with the lifetime memberships and have all the art that's available. I'm not to keen on deleting HS, but as I've been setting up LB I've noticed that it's duplicating all the media from EmuMovies into it's own program folder. Each system is taking half a day to download and it's eating up precious HD space. Is there a way for both frontends to use the same artwork files? Thanks

Yes and no. LaunchBox wants the images in it's own folders for sorting and for a feature called Image Priorities, which lets you select what images to see where. You can import your HS Art, in to the proper folders, and as long as the art is named after the game name or the name of the game in LaunchBox. You can point LaunchBox to different folders when you edit a system under tools, but you have to point each category separately as LaunchBox is expecting art in each category for it's purposes.

What about on the HS side of things? Anyone know? I think it will be problematic because of the different file structures. Or are they similar? I'm not trying to be lazy but I'm sure that most people here are coming from HS and I don't want to recreate the work if I don't have to. I can use that time working on setting up more systems in BB. Thanks

What about the HyperSpin side of things? You are not moving anything. I have a HyperSpin setup and you can do it the same way SentaiBrad described. Go to Tools > Manage Platforms > Select your System > Folders. Clear Logo should point to the wheel art (Hyperspin\media\Your system\Artwork\wheel) Box - Front should usually point to Artwork 4 if that is where you have your boxes (Hyperspin\media\Your system\Artwork\Artwork4) Cart - front should point to Artwork 3 (Hyperspin\media\Your system\Artwork\Artwork3) Videos should point to video folder in Hyperspin (Hyperspin\media\Your system\Videos)

• 4 months later...

For a while I used HS and Rocketlauncher.

Then I installed Launchbox and simply set the media folders to point to where it already was for HS.

Everything worked fine. I could use HS, RL, or LB. 

Finally, just recently, I decided to go for it and moved all my media to my LB folder (since I just wasn't using HS at all anymore), and deleted all my HS stuff.

I still have a RL stand-alone in there just in case I ever want to look at some platforms/games that I will not likely ever add to LB. But I don't run any emulators in LB through RL anymore. It's all LB now.

All is well in my Launchbox world :D

Thanks I'm still very new to both interfaces, so I want to play around with both before I decide either way....one thing is sure, I'm running this off my PC, not an arcade box anyways, so I'll probably end up using Launchbox mostly...Hyperspin just seems more fun to show off the eye-candy part of a collection than anything else...

Yeah I've decided to just use Launchbox....if I had an arcade cabinet to use this with, without a keyboard/mouse, I would consider Hyperspin, but missing that, Launchbox seems clearly Superior to me after playing with it for awhile....so much easier, faster access to games, easier to update and maintain additions, easier control configurations, can audit ROM sets with Rocketlauncher, etc...using + Launchbox + Rocketlauncher = WIN WIN