LaunchBox Community Forums

Never do this when creating a Custom Filter

ckp

In Launchbox, I went to create a custom filter so I could just show my favorite Platforms, which is really cool that you can create custom filters so easily! I LOVE that!

I accidentally clicked on the Filter Values: "Title" drop down list selection. Oh boy was that a HUGE mistake as LB has been in its 'not responding' state busy trying to produce a drop list off around 23k items for me! hahaha. I'm going to try to wait it out to see if it ever snaps out of it and comes back to life (it's been like this minutes so far) so I don't have to kill the process and potentially corrupt my LB xml file again. I know it's doing something because one cpu is pegged on launchbox.exe. I suppose special code handling is needed for selections that may be enormous.

can't seem to get the filter i want. what i want to do is just show my favorite platforms on the left. all i can get it to do is show all my favorite platforms inside one custom filter name so the left side just has "Favorite Platforms". 

is it possible to somehow show on the left side of LB and BB only a list of certain platforms? That's what I'm shooting for.  I don't want all the games from all the selected platforms to be together, but that is a valid filter to have as well so i wouldn't want to see that go away.

Hi @ckp, custom filters are currently a pain point, and to be honest they're probably the worst part of the app right now. I desperately need to revamp them. I'd say the best way to only show certain platforms currently would be to mark all games for non-favorited platforms as "hidden". Then you can change LaunchBox and/or Big Box to hide or show the "hidden" games and the platforms list should update as well.

Thank you for thinking of an option.

Initially my thought was to right click each platform to hide and select hidden, but that wasn't there, so I looked to filters.

I kind of wanted easy custom platform lists I could choose based on the players. Like if the kids and their friends play, I would choose a set of platforms better suited to them, hiding games in each platform that don't work very well or have some other issue. If adults/teens play, have platforms with games that older kids or adults like, or just kiddie girlie games, or fighters, or whatever, but I like to keep games separated by platform most of the time. In some cases I may want to just use Favorites for games all in one as well, which I can currently do with LB. I hated Hyperspin because it was so hard for me to do things like this. Even Favorites are horrible in HS. I have no plans to ever go back to HS now that LB and BB are so great. Eventually I'd like to drop Rocklauncher also, but not yet.

• Like 1