LaunchBox Community Forums

Open - Better compression for Images - Issue #352

Thordelan

• Vlansix changed the title to Open - Better compression for Images - Issue #352

No worries. See, we don't want to lose quality, but if I find a compression algorithm that can save some space (and bandwidth!) and not lose any quality, it'll be a win-win for everyone :). Now, as I'm saying pretty much everywhere, this won't be done tomorrow, but it's on my todo list :)

• 3 weeks later...

OP is right  lot of these images are wasting space they compress easily without much quality loss because they are mostly simple in terms of details not something like a photograph with lots of detail, maybe current images could be reduced in quality on the server and when users upload images, then on Launchbox ask if users want full uploaded quality or reduced quality but smaller file size.  Yes this might take up a bit more server space but i bet many users will want to smaller file size especially when you can't really tell the quality loss and even then most of the images will be viewed from a distance and at smaller sizes on screen.

1 hour ago, emko said:

OP is right  lot of these images are wasting space they compress easily without much quality loss because they are mostly simple in terms of details not something like a photograph with lots of detail, maybe current images could be reduced in quality on the server and when users upload images, then on Launchbox ask if users want full uploaded quality or reduced quality but smaller file size.  Yes this might take up a bit more server space but i bet many users will want to smaller file size especially when you can't really tell the quality loss and even then most of the images will be viewed from a distance and at smaller sizes on screen.

You said everything, emko.

• 4 years later...

Hey guys.

Have reduced my Images folder from 38,4 GB to about 11 GB with loosy compressions.

PNG -> pngquant

JPG -> XnView MP -> Batch convert JPG to 70%

If you ask me, there is no visual difference for an "normal" user.

Would be really nice if such batch compress options will be implemented in Launchbox.

pOpY