LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox/PS1/Retroarch Issues

luger81

I have the newest version of Retroarch for Windows 64bit and whenever I load Playstation games after saving a config and loading it in Launchbox, Retroarch forgets my bios folder.

-L "cores\mednafen_psx_libretro.dll" -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg

When I add that line in emulator settings for Sony Playstation, Retroarch loads but the screen is black. I have the bios in the right folder and am able to run Sony Playstation in Retroarch by itself but not in Launchbox after adding that line in the script. If I leave off the -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg, it works fine.

I had it working just fine and then things got messed up as of last night. Not sure what happened. Any suggestions?

P.S. I have watched Brad's video tutorial.
Edited by luger81

In my opinion, you don't need a separate cfg for Mednafen PSX. At least not with recent versions of RetroArch.

See, recent versions of RetroArch have dropped the "config per core" option and also lets you save shaders per core without a cfg, in the same way you save the inputs per core. Plus, you can always use overrides (i assume you know how to make one?) instead of separate cfgs per core.

I also used to have those cfgs but recently i deleted them all and just use overrides when necessary. And it's much better this way IMO. Just load the core with LaunchBox and everything else is handled by RetroArch. The only situation i found where i need to load a separate cfg is with gameboy. I use Gambatte for both gameboy classic and color and i want to use different shaders for each. But because i can only save one shader per core, in order to have one for color and another for classic, i use custom cfgs to load with the core because i can't use separate overrides per system (RetroArch separates cores, not systems).

For any other system i don't see the need. It's much cleaner and error free to just load the core and let RetroArch handle everything else.

3 hours ago, luger81 said:
I have the newest version of Retroarch for Windows 64bit and whenever I load Playstation games after saving a config and loading it in Launchbox, Retroarch forgets my bios folder.

-L "cores\mednafen_psx_libretro.dll" -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg

When I add that line in emulator settings for Sony Playstation, Retroarch loads but the screen is black. I have the bios in the right folder and am able to run Sony Playstation in Retroarch by itself but not in Launchbox after adding that line in the script. If I leave off the -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg, it works fine.

I had it working just fine and then things got messed up as of last night. Not sure what happened. Any suggestions?

P.S. I have watched Brad's video tutorial.

You are missing a " at the end of the -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg

Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Imgema said:

I use Gambatte for both gameboy classic and color and i want to use different shaders for each

this is what i want do to, but i use rocketlauncher and i have set-up gameboy and i can't figure out how to choose a different cfg for gameboy color so i can use a different shader there doesn't seem to be an option to select a cfg in rocketlauncher or launchbox if your using rocketlancher as an emulator has anybody managed to do that.

I don't know if Rocketlauncher can support this but Launchbox can.

What you can do if you want to have 2 different setups for the same core is to make a copy of the core and rename it something similar so you know what it is. Then associate that core with the system platform.

I did this recently for the PSX core. I have one for d-pad controls and my Hori FC-4 controller and another for analog controls using Xbox 360 controller.

It works with RocketLauncher too.

But you need to name the cfgs with the same name they are listed in RocketLauncher. For instance:

Nintendo Game Boy Color.cfg

Nintendo Game Boy.cfg

RocketLauncher will load these automatically so you can setup a different shader for each cfg.

Edited by Imgema

57 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

You are missing a " at the end of the -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg

Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

I have fixed it but still doesn't load through LB with it. It still loads Retroarch but it has a black screen and doesn't load. This is only happening with games that have bios.

Edited by luger81

I've decided to wipe out Retroarch and re-install it. Hopefully that fixes my issue. Btw, I backed up important things like default cfgs, bioses, and saves first. :)
Since this is only happening on platforms with Bios, What other settings should I look at? Also, I already tried wiping Launchbox but it didn't help.

23 minutes ago, luger81 said:

Since this is only happening on platforms with Bios, What other settings should I look at? Also, I already tried wiping Launchbox but it didn't help.

How about the system/BIOS dir in the directory options? Are you sure it's setup correctly in the mednafen_PSX.cfg or in the retroarch.cfg? Maybe it's different in one of the two cfg files and there's a conflict?

Edited by Imgema

38 minutes ago, Cranhill said:

just set it up, and it works great thank you :D

No problem.

Keep in mind though that these cfg files will not work with Launchbox. That's because there are spaces in the filename. If you want to separate gameboy color and classic in the same way in Launchbox, just copy those files and remove the spaces, then you can load those. So basically you need separate cfg files for RocketLauncher and LaunchBox.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Imgema said:

How about the system/BIOS dir in the directory options? Are you sure it's setup correctly in the cfg you are loading or in the retroarch.cfg? Maybe it's different in one of the two cfg files and there's a conflict?

I am wiping out and re-installing Retroarch right now. I'll keep you updated, The thing that gets me is that it works fine out of LB (ie: In RA alone everything is fine).

Does the command line look like this?

-L "cores\mednafen_psx_libretro.dll" -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg"

If yes, could you open the mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg and retroarch.cfg with notepad and make sure you have this line:

system_directory = ":\system"

Also, make sure the file is named mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg. Because it might be named mednafen_psx_libretro.dll.cfg (notice the added .dll part)

Can i also ask, what's the difference between your retroarch.cfg and the mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg? What are the options/lines that you changed so this core has some different options? Why do you need it? If you know what these options/lines are you can make an override file with only the changed lines and delete mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg alltogether. Then RetroArch will load the main retroarch.cfg but the lines you have in the override will take priority when you load the core.

In other words, you don't need that mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg to load with LaunchBox, especially since it causes problems.

Edited by Imgema
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Imgema said:

Does the command line look like this?

-L "cores\mednafen_psx_libretro.dll" -c "config\mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg"

If yes, could you open the mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg with notepad and make sure you have this line:

system_directory = ":\system"

Also, make sure the file is named mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg. Because it might be named mednafen_psx_libretro.dll.cfg (notice the added .dll part)

Can i also ask, what's the difference between your retroarch.cfg and the mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg? What are the options/lines that you changed so this core has some different options? Why do you need it? If you know what these options/lines are you can make an override file with only the changed lines and delete mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg alltogether. Then RetroArch will load the main retroarch.cfg but the lines you have in the override will take priority when you load the core.

In other words, you don't need that mednafen_psx_libretro.cfg to load with LaunchBox, especially since it causes problems.

Thank you for what info that you gave me. What I did didn't help (wiped out LB and re-installed). I will try the things you just suggested, I'll keep you updated.

Since you re-install you might as well get rid of the extra cfg files and do it right. Just use the main retroarch.cfg. Make sure all directories are correct there. And then use overrides for any changes you need for each core. In LaunchBox you only need to load the core and nothing else.

If you want to know how overrides are made i can help you.

5 minutes ago, luger81 said:

Adding ^ line worked! So, the question is, why doesn't RA create that line on new cfg files anymore?

I don't know, RetroArch changed it's behavior recently when it comes to separate cfg files. Basically, it doesn't need them anymore. All you need is overrides (except one or two occasions like the gameboy example above).

8 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Does it load games without the "-c config" command ?

I have 30+ systems running on LaunchBox through RetroAch. The only systems i use the -c config command is with gameboy for reasons i explained in my previous posts above. For all other systems it's useless really (except maybe GenesisPlusGX if you want different shaders on all systems it supports).

Edited by Imgema