LaunchBox Community Forums

Compressed dreamcast games not launching prorperly

astoufu

Hello guys, i have most of my dreamcast games in GDI or CDI, but they are compressed in ZIP files and it seems like i cannont get them to work trough launchbox.

I am not sure if launchbox is may looking for a Bin, Cue or ISO and doesn't recognize the GDIs or CDIs uncompressed in the temp folder of 7-ZIP. Did anyone have success with compressed Dreamcast games?

Note 1: If i go with NullDC, i can load games, but ocasionally NullDC will try to load the Raw or BIN file instead of the GDI or CDI.

Note2: With Demul i cannot load any games at all. Weird thing is, if i open it trough LaunchBox, i can't even launch a uncompressed game, but loading Demul out Launchbox, it will make it works.

confdc.png

Edited by astoufu

Do you have the setting checked to "Extract ROM archives before running" in the Demul emulator settings for Launchbox?

Video example of using compressed ROMs through LaunchBox using Demul as an example.

Tools, Manage emulators,Demul (or whichever Dreamcast emulator) then Edit. Bottom right corner is a checkbox for "Extract ROM archives before running".

ExtractRomArchive.png

Edited by timekills
Added video example

1 minute ago, timekills said:

Do you have the setting checked to "Extract ROM archives before running" in the Demul emulator settings for Launchbox?

Tools, Manage emulators,Demul (or whichever Dreamcast emulator) then Edit. Bottom right corner is a checkbox for "Extract ROM archives before running".

ExtractRomArchive.png

Yes, on both of them i checked the option to extract the ROM. Through log of NullDC, i can even see it trying to load the game, but almost always it gets a RAW or BIN file, instead of the GDI. By the way, on 7Zip's temp folder i can see all the files extracted.

4 minutes ago, astoufu said:

Yes, on both of them i checked the option to extract the ROM. Through log of NullDC, i can even see it trying to load the game, but almost always it gets a RAW or BIN file, instead of the GDI. By the way, on 7Zip's temp folder i can see all the files extracted.

I'll check my Demul settings, I think I only have it to decompress in LaunchBox. It does work for me however.

Edit:  actually don't know where the decompress ROM setting is in Demul...so I'm not sure if I have it checked or not. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by timekills

1 minute ago, timekills said:

I'll check my Demul settings, I think I only have it to decompress in LaunchBox. It does work for me however.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks man, anyways ill left attached here the configs i am using for both emulators too.

demul.png

nulldc.png

I

1 hour ago, astoufu said:

Note2: With Demul i cannot load any games at all. Weird thing is, if i open it trough LaunchBox, i can't even launch a uncompressed game, but loading Demul out Launchbox, it will make it works.

(Emphasis added by me)

This is probably the issue.

It likely is decompressing correctly, but not playing it afterward, if you can't even play an uncompressed CDI using Demul launched via LaunchBox. 

I wonder if the translation is causing an incompatibility somewhere. But...I don't see anything in the settings you posted that would indicate a problem.

Does Demul launch at least? And then it gives you an error with the ROM?

Edited by timekills

5 minutes ago, timekills said:

I

(Emphasis added by me)

This is probably the issue.

It likely is decompressing correctly, but not playing it afterward, if you can't even play an uncompressed CDI using Demul launched via LaunchBox. 

I wonder if the translation is causing an incompatibility somewhere. But...I don't see anything in the settings you posted that would indicate a problem.

Does Demul launch at least? And then it gives you an error with the ROM?

Yes, Demul will launch to the main screen. Then, when i try to open game nothing happens, it doesn't give a error message,

Except that I don't use the DX11 old plugin your settings are identical to mine. In LB try removing the command line and pasting it in the Associated platform tab instead that will change your sample path as mine doesn't list the -run=dc -image=  there maybe it is giving it the parameters in the wrong order. I don't really know just grasping at straws at this point.

14 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Except that I don't use the DX11 old plugin your settings are identical to mine. In LB try removing the command line and pasting it in the Associated platform tab instead that will change your sample path as mine doesn't list the -run=dc -image=  there maybe it is giving it the parameters in the wrong order. I don't really know just grasping at straws at this point.

Tried it right now, but didn't work. By the way, i did one more test, this time with Reicast on retroarch, and it didn't load the game too.

If i run retroarch trying to run the same game uncompressed, it will work fine. I think my issue is due to compressed files.

Well, i did one more test here, and i think maybe my collection can be the problem or the way they are compressed.

I found one game that will launch properly with every emulator i get configured. Now i can't find the reason why other games won't play compressed, i wasn't wanting to extract them due to free space issue on my external hard drive.

By the way, the only game that work are zipped, but have just one file compressed that is a CDI Image, so it doesn't look for other files. All my other games have GDI and other track stuff like BIN, RAW files etc. Maybe launchbox isn't sending the "GDI file" trying to load and another thing like the BIN or RAW?

Edit: Found another compressed game with a single file (CDI) inside and this one loaded too without issues. Maybe having more than one file compressed is giving me troubles.

Edited by astoufu
Found another info for the issue

47 minutes ago, astoufu said:

Well, i did one more test here, and i think maybe my collection can be the problem or the way they are compressed.

I found one game that will launch properly with every emulator i get configured. Now i can't find the reason why other games won't play compressed, i wasn't wanting to extract them due to free space issue on my external hard drive.

By the way, the only game that work are zipped, but have just one file compressed that is a CDI Image, so it doesn't look for other files. All my other games have GDI and other track stuff like BIN, RAW files etc. Maybe launchbox isn't sending the "GDI file" trying to load and another thing like the BIN or RAW?

Edit: Found another compressed game with a single file (CDI) inside and this one loaded too without issues. Maybe having more than one file compressed is giving me troubles.

When the zipped file is decompressed, are all the files in the temp folder, or just the *.gdi file?