LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox video playback issues

Eirulan

Hi all,

I have the following two issues with BigBox, does someone know a workaround or solution to these?

For of all, I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 and the "stable" Launchbox Release 6.8 (no Beta). I hope my descriptions are clear, I'm no native-speaker :)

1.) When I'm over a game and while it's video is playing, I do a search via the magnifying icon, the video is not stopping playing and won't until I exit out of BigBox completely. It plays over and over endlessly (I only hear the sound of the video of course). It then gets mixed into all other videos/sounds that play while continuing to navigate through the games. I tried both VLC and WMP.

2.) After a while of using BigBox, I sometimes (randomly, not every time but often enough) get "crackling" sound issues. I then have to either re-initialize the sound device or restart Windows, simply stopping BigBox does not fix this. This one comes definitly from BigBox, I never had this issues before using BigBox and only have them when using BigBox. I again tried VLC and WMP. This issue happens on both of my sound devices: Soundblaster (desktop mode) and the graphics' card's HDMI sound output when playing on the couch.

Kind regards,

Eirulan

On 9/11/2016 at 0:55 PM, Eirulan said:

1.) When I'm over a game and while it's video is playing, I do a search via the magnifying icon, the video is not stopping playing and won't until I exit out of BigBox completely. It plays over and over endlessly (I only hear the sound of the video of course). It then gets mixed into all other videos/sounds that play while continuing to navigate through the games. I tried both VLC and WMP.

There have been a number of fixes to video playback in the latest betas, although I think they were all VLC-specific so if you're experiencing this with both VLC and WMP it may be a BB bug. I'll test tonight to see if I can replicate it.

On 9/11/2016 at 0:55 PM, Eirulan said:

2.) After a while of using BigBox, I sometimes (randomly, not every time but often enough) get "crackling" sound issues. I then have to either re-initialize the sound device or restart Windows, simply stopping BigBox does not fix this. This one comes definitly from BigBox, I never had this issues before using BigBox and only have them when using BigBox. I again tried VLC and WMP. This issue happens on both of my sound devices: Soundblaster (desktop mode) and the graphics' card's HDMI sound output when playing on the couch.

This one is very strange. I honestly have no idea what would cause this other than possibly an audio driver issue - it's strange that you're only experiencing it in BB though, so maybe that's a bug as well.

@Jason Carr any ideas on these?

@Eirulan I believe I have fixed that first bug in the latest beta. Per the audio issues, we're using DirectX's XAudio2 to render the sounds, so maybe try reinstalling DirectX? Other than that, it could be related to the Windows Media Player or VLC video playback engines. Maybe try switching video playback engines? This is the first time I'm hearing of it though so I'm guessing there's something awry with sound something on your system (though I know that's not very helpful).

@Jason Carr

I made the jump to the latest beta now and I can confirm that the video playback stops when entering the "magnifying glass" virtual keyboard search. However - if a game only has music but no video associated, the music still continues to play...

As for my problem no. 2 - I noticed this in other scenarios aswell now, not only in your program - seems to be an issue with my soundcard maybe it is slowly dying (it's a very old SoundBlaster X-Fi) - or it's an issue with Creative's Windows 10 drivers. So to clarify from my side - this is most likely NOT an issue on your program.

Thanks.

• Like 1