LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch “extract ROM archives before running”

InfinityFox

My files for Super Famicon are in 7z format and I notive that when adding retroarch it gives the following option “extract ROM archives before running”.  What are the pros and cons for selecting this please?

Cheers

The pro is that you can keep your ROMs compressed and it will extract them, play them, and then delete the temp file afterward. This saves hard drive space.

The con is if you don't select to extract the files before running them, if the emulator doesn't read compressed files natively it won't work at all.

Okay, so the real con is the slight increase in time required to extract the ROM first before playing. Basically negligible for files under 10 MB. Using compressed ISOs and 4GB+ files definitely increases the load time (if the emulator doesn't read the compressed files natively.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk