LaunchBox Community Forums

ScummVM not finding savegames

Guest Terry Bogard

Guest Terry Bogard

Hey guys. I hope someone can help me with a problem that I am having with Launchbox starting up games in ScummVM.

The problems are as followed:

When I start Monkey Island 2, The Dig etc. via Launchbox and try to load the savegames, they aren't there. On the other hand, if I start ScummVM normally without Launchbox, the savegames are there again and I can play the games without any problems. Are there any commands that I need to write/edit in Launchbox to make this work and if so, how do I do it? My other thought is that this is maybe some kind of bug??? It needs to be said that if I find the path where the savegames are stored, then the save games appear again. But when I quit ScummVM and start the games up via Launchbox again, it doesn't remember the path I referred to the last time. 

The other problem is that when I use Launchbox to open a ScummVM game that makes use of MT32 Emulation (For example Monkey Island 2) it comes out with this error:

The selected audio device 'MT32 Emulator' cannot be used. See log file for more information ...

Now the wierd thing is, when I start ScummVM up normally without using Launchbox, everything seems to be fine and working properly. I get MT32 music in the games that use the MT32 Emulation.

Can anyone help me with these to problems?

Any help would be great :D

Edited by Terry Bogard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Terry Bogard

Hey Eirulan

Sorry for the late comment. No I use the ScummVM 1.8.1 from the ScummVM homepage. I actually didn't know that Launchbox, had its own ScummVM.

When I add a game I wing off the section where it says ScummVM emulation, or something like that. I don't if I am using the internal ScummVM emulator in Launchbox by doing it like that, but if not, how do I disable the internal ScummVM in Launchbox????

Yes Launchbox uses the ScummVM that comes with Launchbox in the ScummVM subfolder and that's the reason it doesn't read the settings you made in your standalone version. 

You can try to copy your settings over manually, I'm not sure if it is possible to tell Launchbox to use the standalone ScummVM. 

Edited by Eirulan

18 hours ago, Eirulan said:

I'm not sure if it is possible to tell Launchbox to use the standalone ScummVM. 

I don't think it is, but you can overwrite the version that's included with LB with a standalone version that you download from their site and it'll work fine.

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2016 at 5:42 PM, Zombeaver said:

I don't think it is, but you can overwrite the version that's included with LB with a standalone version that you download from their site and it'll work fine.

That's what i also did. Still the games can't find their original saves because when launched from Launchbox the saved data is always stored in LaunchBox\ScummVM and not in the save path defined in ScummVM.

A problem with --savepath command in Launchbox i guess...

A symlink of the original save path to LaunchBox\ScummVM would solve the problem until the issue is fixed in Launchbox.

Another thing i noticed:

I use ScummVM to run Lands of Lore (CD version). ScummVM standalone recognizes that i have the CD version and stores the saved files as lol-cd.xxx.

But... When you add Lands of Lore to Launchbox you don't have the option to select the CD version. As a result it is recognized as the plain version and saves are stored as lol.xxx.

35 minutes ago, Crush said:

Another thing i noticed:

I use ScummVM to run Lands of Lore (CD version). ScummVM standalone recognizes that i have the CD version and stores the saved files as lol-cd.xxx.

But... When you add Lands of Lore to Launchbox you don't have the option to select the CD version. As a result it is recognized as the plain version and saves are stored as lol.xxx.

That's not exactly a huge deal. If you run/save/load the game through LB it plays fine. I also use it for the CD version. In the worst case scenario you could always rename previous save files if you'd created them outside of LB.