LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore 64 File Types Question

bjwest

Hi all,

I have 3 folders with C64 roms as follows:

C64 (PP) containing .nib files (within a zip file)

C64 (Tapes) containing .tap files (within a zip file)

C64 containing .crt files (within a zip file)

The first 2 folders mentioned above contain over 1600 zip folders each, however just 300 in the .crt folder

What would be the recommended folder to use for importing to Launchbox?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orac31 said:

I think nibs are clean not ripped(but not sure) I have just watched brads video and never heard of the emulator he uses but given it a try and like it I'm just importing a nib set now to see how it gos.

Let me know how you go with the nib files.

I wouldn't recommend using .nibs - those are from the Preservation Project (that's what the PP stands for) and contain all the original copy protection which, in many cases, will render them unusable.

For C64 there are quite a few usable file types: PRG, P00, T64, TAP, D64, G41, G64, and CRT. The majority of my roms are D64s as that's my preferred format - those are disk images. The reason I prefer those is I use CCS64 for C64 emulation, and it has a "maximum 1541 speed" option which vastly speeds up loading times on disk images and toggles on/off automatically. You can still speed up load times with other formats (like cartridges or tapes) by turning on warp mode (which increases the emulation speed to something like 500%) but that still requires you to do it manually whereas with the maximum 1541 speed option (the 1541 was the C64's floppy drive) it speeds up while loading data and slows back down to normal when the load is complete, which is extremely handy.

• Like 4