LaunchBox Community Forums

Another licensing option

ckp

Not sure where the best place is for this, but I'll try it here.

I was wondering if it makes any sense to add another licensing option.

$20 1 year license. $10 renewals done 4 times converts you to forever license. So, you pay $60 but not $50 up front.

This is the option I would choose.

@DOS76, i never like to pay for a full "lifetime" license cost for software up front (especially when the software company is new and 1 person), because that software has a strong chance of going away (not that LB will, but you never know). this way it helps to mitigate that risk. you could say 5 years is a long wait to get $60, but you could also say getting $60 now and then nothing for 5 years also has its disadvantages. plus, i hear it was only $20 before for lifetime, so it's still a win :)

personally, i'll be fine either way, but I think an option like this "might" get Jason more money by hooking people who don't like the idea of $50 right now, and will simply give him nothing (and I know they are out there!). 

also, this type of model puts more incentive into the company to keep producing new features. if they stop making it worth an upgrade, people will stop paying for the upgrade.

this might be a bad idea and it might not - i don't really know. Jason's call. it was just a thought, because quite honestly i've been getting tired of getting the same old software licensing options of either pay a big amount now for a lifetime license or pay a fair amount now but pay for overpriced upgrades as i needs them. i'd like to see something different.

maybe once I see a couple more features added to regular LB (like unzip loading/progress screen and option to hide/unhide platforms and a bit better performance) i'll send my other 30 bucks. but i want all my basic needs met before i do that. i'm already quite satisfied with BB as-is. or maybe Jason will pull something extra cool out of his hat that nobody else has that will really motivate me. i have almost a year left to decide :D

I never mentioned the $50 now option at all but after the 1st year is up I believe the option to pay an additional $30 will get you a lifetime license and that is after you get to use it for a year 1st so by then you will have an idea or not of whether or not you want to invest the additional money into the program.