LaunchBox Community Forums

Resolved - Massive NES Covers Contribution with bad ratio - Informational

Freestate

Somebody is uploading massively covers of nintendo entertainment system with bad ratio/proportions, deleting the original ones. We have a tag for reconstructed ones and no need to delete the original and change with this. Good covers but with an incorrect ratio resolution. I check a original NES scan and the resolution of this covers to preserve proportions must be 1466x2100 and all this massive bunch of covers have 1546x2100, ARE FLATTENED AND DISTORTED.

Edited by Freestate

It's more clear if its a european cover because the nintendo seal is a circle and you could see easily the flattening. With the USA covers, and expecting the tipical sickness of moderating a lot of time and the quality of the reconstructions (if we don't care about ratio) i expect a massive death and wyping of the real scans.

23de8fb4-c512-4923-9115-6840ea89deed.jpg

10038fce-6c2e-4974-a0fe-9aac9eceea41.jpg

Edited by Freestate
images

You mean the ones that @hubz helpfully gathered for us, and that I've been painstakingly uploading in my free time, being sure to only do so when the original image is low quality or a lesser reconstruction? 

Yeah, I'm not going to apologize for contributing when no one else has. Look forward to me finishing the upload soon!! :x

(And hey! If you've got better covers, submit them instead of complaining!)

@Freestate thanks for the examples. The bottom one appears to be cleaned up a bit (no box damage along the edges, other small details are "better"), but I agree, looks like the aspect ratio is wrong and the box has been smooshed a bit on the vertical axis, so that's too tall / too wide. It would be trivial to correct the aspect ratio in something like Photoshop and then re-upload / replace them, I'm just not too sure of t definitive "correct" dimensions that the NES box covers should be.

Also, when researching trying to find the "correct" dimensions I found what seems to be a pretty good collection of nice front & back images here. Are these good?

14 minutes ago, DivinityCycle said:

@Freestate thanks for the examples. The bottom one appears to be cleaned up a bit (no box damage along the edges, other small details are "better"), but I agree, looks like the aspect ratio is wrong and the box has been smooshed a bit on the vertical axis, so that's too tall / too wide. It would be trivial to correct the aspect ratio in something like Photoshop and then re-upload / replace them, I'm just not too sure of t definitive "correct" dimensions that the NES box covers should be.

Also, when researching trying to find the "correct" dimensions I found what seems to be a pretty good collection of nice front & back images here. Are these good?

My size estimations about size are taken from a real scan of NES cases taken from nintandbox, if not 1466x2100 is very close, more or less.

The web you choose have the same flattened ratio, 1547x2100 for images, i think there's an arrange to use it with some type of cases (VHS) or something. The real ratio must be between 1466x2100 for EUROPE CASE and 1484x2100 for USA CASE. These images are nearly 100 pixels more horizontal, are flattened and distorted to mach some type of plastic case and have bigger sides.

Edited by Freestate

using the Robocop cover from that project post I linked to, I cut out just the front cover and got an image 1546 wide by 2100 tall, which ended up being like 2MB in size. Pretty freakin huge. What do you think about this one?

-EDIT-

Wow, so I double-checked this vs the "smooshed" example image and they appear to be the same dimensions, so I'm guessing whoever did the Robocop cover found the same source I did (which I linked to above).

I'm going to reduce the width by 100 pixels, BRB

nes_robocop.jpg

Edited by DivinityCycle

And besides that, we have a reconstructed tag for covers, if we have good scans, and good reconstructions we could keep both, the massive upload by this user is deleting good scans ( in some games with resolution up to 1000 pixels and crisp) with this reconstructed ones.

• Vlansix changed the title to Resolved - Massive NES Covers Contribution with bad ratio - Informational