LaunchBox Community Forums

Launching PC-98 games with Neko Project II (fmgen)

scerfy

I recently added the PC-98 Touhou games to my collection and downloaded Neko Project II fmgen to play them. The emulator runs the games fine, but now I'm trying to integrate it into Launchbox. The games imported fine, but when I click them to load, it opens Neko Project II without the game loaded and I have to go through Neko Project II's menu to load the game and then start emulation. I've seen a video where someone was able to load the game and the emulator together but it didn't go into detail how they did it. Has someone figured out how to do this and can explain it please? In case it matters, the executable I'm using to load Neko Project II is np2nt.exe.

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, KitaKitsune said:

Has anyone figured out a fix for the swapping of hdi files?

I recommend using Retroarch for PC-98 using the np2kai_libretro core. It can detect disk images, hd images and cd images.

You can even nowadays get CD-based games working with that setup using .cmd files as "roms" in launchbox (basically a plain text file) where you list the actual files like this for example:

Policenauts.cmd file has this as text:

np2kai "L:\Policenauts User Disk.FDI" "L:\Policenauts.ccd"

This would automatically boot up with the user system disk and attach the CD image. Works perfectly.

Or if you only have a single .HDi file, then you can skip the .cmd files and point/import directly to the HDi file in Launchbox. It will load it automatically as well.

• Thanks 1

You can use the core option to change those settings and you can also access the BIOS menu the same way described in the tutorial you mentioned (holding down the END key while booting).

esp-210608-144247.thumb.png.7cb43624fcc030d1bca21b43f0f4d454.png

You can also save those core options for games that have unique settings as "Save Game Options" for each game. Otherwise it'll use the last used core options, but in most cases the options you have chosen for the core should work just fine.

1.thumb.png.7ee7b698fa8f0493fbc0cf69f1fa8bff.png

2.thumb.png.5fb1253e9c8ddd50dd26303537cacd96.png

I have some special default settings for games that are basically for the PC-9821 model (CD games as such).

I actually tested Touhou 01: The Highly Responsive to Prayers, and I only needed to Switch to 2.5mhz on the bios menu and worked just fine with my other default settings I'm using on most PC-98 games. And Touhou 2 also then started without any need to change any options:

923706946_Touhou04_LotusLandStory-02.thumb.png.b691837ba4daad3e4f1ece21d925690d.png

877466574_Touhou04_LotusLandStory-03.thumb.png.ddd55c5ef7ea6658eb0f94f2d859123e.png

I guess you just need to choose the settings once for them to work best and then that should be it :)

Edited by kurzih

• 11 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 4:57 PM, kurzih said:

I recommend using Retroarch for PC-98 using the np2kai_libretro core. It can detect disk images, hd images and cd images.

You can even nowadays get CD-based games working with that setup using .cmd files as "roms" in launchbox (basically a plain text file) where you list the actual files like this for example:

Policenauts.cmd file has this as text:

np2kai "L:\Policenauts User Disk.FDI" "L:\Policenauts.ccd"

This would automatically boot up with the user system disk and attach the CD image. Works perfectly.

Or if you only have a single .HDi file, then you can skip the .cmd files and point/import directly to the HDi file in Launchbox. It will load it automatically as well.

G'day, I've set this up in Retroarch also but when I load hdi's it quits (after the initial dos screen)

Am I doing something wrong ?

4 hours ago, meecob said:

G'day, I've set this up in Retroarch also but when I load hdi's it quits (after the initial dos screen)

Am I doing something wrong ?

Hi! You're doing nothing wrong. I'm afraid it's been a bug in some of the cores for months now. Same thing with PX68K (Sharp X68000) it seems.

What works for me is using the older core for np2kai below from 1.9.11 and locking it so that they don't get overwritten when updating cores. Hopefully this will be fixed... quite annoying since most of PC-98 files are HDi.

https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.9.11/windows/x86_64/RetroArch_cores.7z

EDIT: The issue is open, but no response from the dev yet:

https://github.com/AZO234/NP2kai/issues/142

Edited by kurzih