LaunchBox Community Forums

jacarado

Hello good afternoon!

I have a little doubt, because in the previous versions I used the function "export" to be able to download the images and ARTS. However according to "ChangeLog" it says the following:

Launchbox 6.12 Change Log October 18, 2016

- Removed: The import and export to zip file features were removed as they are no longer necessary when switching platforms between different LaunchBox installations; Now it's as simple as copying the platform's XML file and media files between installations

So in case what do I do? I copy only the XML file that my installation from the other computer will recognize automatically? Do I need to use a program to match the information?

Thank you and the PROGRAM IS PERFECT !!!

You can keep just your data folder, but if your roms change locations then chances are they may be broken, and you'll need to download all of the media again. All you would need to do is make sure to match the file path for your roms and emulators, and it should work. If you don't want to re-download all of the media, you can keep a backup of your entire LB folder, but the paths issue still remains. The only time it doesn't matter is if you keep your roms inside of the LB Games directory.

In my case it is formed of the following path:

Roms -> "C: / Games / Roms / ** (where the signal is the name of the console, GBA or PSX)

Emulators -> "C: / Games / Emulators / ** (where I have the emulators as" Retroarch ")

I have already done this process to be able to have a certain "control" of path to the computer, however if the "LaunchBox" software is installed in another way, can this cause problems?

Example:

Machine 1 -> "C: /Users/Lucas/.Launchbox"

Machine 2 -> "C: / Program Files / .Launchbox"

Thank you for your help

:)

No, LaunchBox doesn't care. LaunchBox is a portable application and even if your roms and emulators are on the same drive, it should be using relative paths (you'll know it when you see it, because it looks like ../LaunchBox/ instead of C:/LaunchBox). So as long as the paths are kept in-tact, even on a different drive letter (assuming it's using relative paths), then you're still good. Even if LaunchBox is on a completely different system it should be fine given the paths are the same.

There is a method to editing the paths in the XML with something like Notepad++, and it's a fairly simple process if you need to perform it, but you should be good to. For example, I had to change S:/Emulator to S:/Emulators before and it worked great.

7 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

No, LaunchBox doesn't care. LaunchBox is a portable application and even if your roms and emulators are on the same drive, it should be using relative paths (you'll know it when you see it, because it looks like ../LaunchBox/ instead of C:/LaunchBox). So as long as the paths are kept in-tact, even on a different drive letter (assuming it's using relative paths), then you're still good. Even if LaunchBox is on a completely different system it should be fine given the paths are the same.

There is a method to editing the paths in the XML with something like Notepad++, and it's a fairly simple process if you need to perform it, but you should be good to. For example, I had to change S:/Emulator to S:/Emulators before and it worked great.

Thank you for your help! Oh really!

Because in my house the internet has a very low speed, and it takes a LOT to download the images. And with that in my work, the speed is much better and easier to download.

Thanks for this then :)

Yea, it's built with something like that in mind. LB is designed to be as portable as can be, given that there can be thousands of links for one platform alone. If there were some issues with your games on another one of your systems, you can move over all of your images in to a new install, then import all your games and uncheck all of the boxes for the metadata and media. As long as you keep the platform names the same as before (because the images are separated out by system), you can just import your games and all of the media will re-attach it's self automatically, or it will after resetting the cache.