LaunchBox Community Forums

Newbie - Easy question

darkmenace

Hi all

New to the forums, but been a paid up Launchbox Premium user for quite a few months. What can I say, after trying virtually every commonly known emulator frontend known to man, I stumbled across Launchbox, and the way its setup, configured, how it looks, ease of use etc leave everything else pale by comparison.

I do have a 5 year old home built arcade machine with Hyperspin on it, and that works well, but the reason I abandoned that on my little mutl-emulator PC for the lounge room, is because their native support for USB controllers sux and required too much stuffing around to get right. Also all other features require lots of manual intervention to get working. In comes Launchbox which just looks and works awesome!

Now to my question. I have a basic Intel NUC (Celeron edition 1.6-2.2GHZ (speeds up under load apparently). The NUC has 8GB ram and an SSD in it. I find the 150MB launchbox exe, which bigbox obviously calls, very slow to load up. This means the desktop on my PC is sitting there idle for up to about 60 seconds at boot before the application loads. Anything other than a better PC that can fix this? I remember reading in one of the updates that the game/emulator database file has now been split up into individual systems or something, rather than one massive database, to improve performance. I have V6.12 installed now, following various updates. How would I look to split up the existing database in order to hopefully improve performance? Do I have to start over from scratch?

Any suggestions for speeding up the loading performance on BigBox/Launchbox would be appreciated. Once its running, it runs smoothly with all my various USB controllers configured. I have all the transitions turned off, but background game/system videos enabled, so it still provides a good experience.

Thanks

Darkmenace

Try reducing the size of your library, or even potentially the amount of images you have? You could do a test by trying to remove some of the fan art artwork and see if that makes much of a difference? The factor here is the CPU speed, it's all dependent on that, more so than RAM or HDD speed (though an SSD does help in other ways than raw speed). I did some resource monitor tests when scrolling through LB.

Edit: In the end though, yea Derek is right, with slowly aging or weaker hardware there isn't too too much that can be done. Don't get me wrong, more optimizations can always be made, but at a certain level all the optimizations in the world won't help.