LaunchBox Community Forums

How stable is the new Beta?

Newlander

I've been running beta since April 2015 and while once in a while problems occur I've never come across one that has made LB totally unusable for me I suggest trying the beta out but make a copy of your Data folder before you do so this way if some thing goes wrong you just replace your DATA folder with the one you saved before the changes and it will revert back to then.

That's if we even change anything related to the data folder. If something happens, you can just install an older version of LaunchBox on top of your broken install and that should fix it. Keep backups of stuff if you're not sure of corruption, sure. The Backups folder only backs up an XML when a change is made to it, not the entire folder of XML files.

I also use the Betas, and every once in a blue moon there will be an issue that requires an immediate fix by Jason because some compiled with an error and it crashes for everyone. All this requires is a user to roll back with the above method, or take the new beta installer and do the same thing. I mean they are Beta's, so things will certainly change and sometimes a feature may be a bit broken or cause a crash, it's inevitable, but for the most part I would like to think that our Betas are fairly stable considering. If you're also up for helping us figure out bugs or tweak features, and are resilient to possible issues, I would say why not.

19 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

That's if we even change anything related to the data folder.

I'm confused by this the Data folder is basically your LB XML now correct (in a generalized way of thinking) so now if you mess up anything while playing around  you delete your data folder and paste your copy in and LB is the same way it was before you made any changes. That is why I suggested this before he joined the beta its a simple way to switch back.

Well yes, if changes are being made to the XML's then it of course stands to reason to keep a back up of it, but updating to a beta doesn't inherently change the XML's (unless it's an update like we had recently that changed it from the LaunchBox.xml to the Data folder), so in that sense, sure, you should probably keep backups of stuff just in case because you do never know what we're gonna change. As far as I know, re-installing an old version on top of the version you have will replace it with the version you just installed. I don't know how the data folder can roll back your version of LaunchBox, these generally require exe changes.