LaunchBox Community Forums

Atari ST emulation

InfinityFox

I've had some useful hints from Zombeaver regarding Atari ST emulation, but wondered what file formats I should be aiming for, at the moment my collection consists of mainly .st, .msa, and .stx files. Also, the steem SSE version doesn't seem to have any info on the website about supported file type?

It seems  from having a quick at the following website http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm that you need the original steem emulator and that you add the sse edition files to that folder. Is this correct. 

Zombeaver, did you mention in a post that to deal with multi disk games that you need to add a command line parameter, oh and are you using the second version from the above website

Edited by InfinityFox

Sorry, should have mentioned that yes you have to install the original Steem 3,2 first and then overwrite with the SSE version.

Steem should support st/stx/msa

.st are regular disk images, stx are basically copies of original disk images and msa are compressed disk images. Shouldn't particularly matter which you use.

So I've got the emulator up and running and have setup the controls to use my xbox 360 controller. Does the setup look correct? I was worried that it was in the wrong section, but it seems to work.

Also any setting I should be tweeking for those who have set Atari ST with Steem up. I also skipped telling Steem where my games were and also setting up a hard drive. Is this necessary to configure or can I just leave it as is?

Capture.PNG

21 hours ago, InfinityFox said:

What TOS version yields the most compatability

1.62 is what I use most, but I've got a few games that I couldn't get to work without 1.0. I just created two emulator entries in LB for them - "Steem TOS 1.62" and "Steem TOS 1.0"

This is what my joystick section looks like:
Steem 1.jpgI also added some things to the Shortcuts section:

Steem 2.jpg

This makes it so Left Bumper + Right Bumper toggles fullscreen; Back + Left Bumper exits Steem; Left Trigger swaps the disk between drive A and B; Right Trigger fast-forwards; Start = Space

I show how to setup multi-disk games with it in this post:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zombeaver you are the man!  Thanks for posting the screen shots, it's really helpful.

I must admit that sometimes you get a situation where you launch an emulator and with a lack of documentation in certain cases, you look at the settings menu and think YIKES! So I'll say again, thanks and that I appreciate the images....

Just a quick question.

When you install the 3.2.8 sse version of steem into the 3.2 original folder it over writes some files. However there is a steem.exe and a Steem SSE 3.8.2.exe. Can I delete the steem.exe because today steem said ther was an update which I did and it seemed to revert me back to the original 3.2, so can I delete the steem.exe and the steemupdate.exe without any adverse effect to the program?Capture.PNG