LaunchBox Community Forums

Retro arch missing cores

sarge1979

No. There is no standalone mess core anymore, you use 'MAME'. They've been merged for quite a while now. Standalone MAME and MESS have been merged, and so have the cores in RetroArch. MAME 2014 doesn't have MESS integrated and is an older version of MAME. 'MAME' is the latest with MESS merged. Technically there is a MESS 2014 core, it's under MULTI, which has been there (though they could have removed it on the latest nightly, im a week or so behind), but the absolute latest MESS and MAME stuff in RA is the 'MAME' core, simple MAME, no dates after it.

Independent of that, not related to RetroArch, I was saying I still prefer standalone MESS. MESS and MAME are combined, but MESS gets compiled from source by someone else now.

Did you do all the proper commands? You need to have the proper associated platform name and default command line parameters, and then the proper MESS commands. You also need the roms and bios in the right location. I am not even exactly sure how it works. In regular MAME you tell it where your MAME Rom set is, by either putting it in the default roms folder or changing the path. In RetroArch it wants BIOS in the system folder generally, unless it automatically looks in the folder it's loading the rom from, then I don't know how it's pulling the proper BIOS info. Follow the MESS tutorials we have and utilize standalone MESS, it's the least complicated path, which is saying something.

Yeah to use MESS in RA I used to but the bios in a folder named a5200 in my systems folder (I only experimented with this for Atari 5200) and while it worked to launch software list games I couldn't get it to launch the regular roms I had. I also didn't give it the a5200 -cart command so that could be the reason. I agree with Brad use stand alone MAME/MESS. I just went with MAME this way I didn't have to set a new folder path as all the system bios files are already in my ROM set and when you use the commands you can load any ROM you don't even have to tell MAME where they are located.

Ah right, the folders labeled after the BIOS! This then means you need to pull all your BIOS out and put them in the right location. With MAME or MESS standalone, you just have a regular MAME Rom pack, which has all of the BIOS included, and you tell it the path. As long as the command is correct, and you use the proper BIOS command, you're good to go.

I do need to mess around with just regular MAME Derek. I can't tell you why I prefer MESS standalone, I just do for some dumb reason. It would take 1 less step otherwise. I vaguely remember having a reason why... but I don't recall it now.

You need to make sure the platform names match, set he proper commands. -L then the core stuff, then a5200 -cart. Create an a5200 folder in your RetroArch Systems folder, put the Atari 5200 BIOS in here. Import your games, set the emulator, and you should be good to go. You'll need to create folders and manually move the BIOS over for every system you want to emulate with MESS in RA.

Okay to be sure you are going ahead with stand alone MAME correct?

You don't need to put the ROMs folder in MAME you just have to have the bios in the MAME ROMs folder or in a location that you have specified to MAME games can be run from any directory using the MESS part of MAME.

Do you have a MAME complete set already to start with?

Okay to be sure you are going ahead with stand alone MAME correct?

You don't need to put the ROMs folder in MAME you just have to have the bios in the MAME ROMs folder or in a location that you have specified to MAME games can be run from any directory using the MESS part of MAME.

Do you have a MAME complete set already to start with?