LaunchBox Community Forums

Fresh install on kids laptop

CALLSTANLEY247

Hi all I'm looking for a bit of advice as I thought I could do this .couple of question if anyone can help

(1)I have my Launchbox / big box on an external drive on my gaming rig.everything in regards Launchbox to is on.i thought I could download Launchbox to my kids laptop and just grab the Launchbox folder copy everything across to fresh build on laptop 

(2)do I do the same for rocket launcher or do I not need this now

as I said I am new to this trying hard and getting there slowly.

if anyone feels like helping that would be great just a it of guidance

nice to meet you all I hope to have great fun learning how to sort my setup right

thanks callstanley247

So this is personal preference, but no you don't need Rocket Launcher for LaunchBox. You are more than welcome to use RL with LB, but it isn't a requirement. If you want to keep things simple for your kids, less steps is good too.

So, if you have LaunchBox on the same hard drive, with all the games and emulators, LaunchBox will use Relative Paths. They look like '../LaunchBox/'. If you have these, as long as the paths after '../' Stays the same, you should be good to go. So if you have '../LaunchBox/' and '../Emulators/, you move this to your kids PC, and it should work just fine. If you have stuff on different drives, that's when you need to edit the corresponding XML's with Notepad++ or do a re-import. Re-importing is easy, as long as you carry over your media (which should use relative paths by default), and you import your games with no media (uncheck all of the boxes), they re-import fast and re-associate the media automatically if they're in the proper locations. So you remove NES, re-import NES (with the same platform name as before), and all of the video, music, images and manuals should re-attach automatically.

If you have any more questions or need anything explained more just let me know!

I don't know enough about RL to say if you can just copy installs without reconfiguring it but I have my doubts (which could be unfounded). As for LB being portable it really depends on how you set it up to begin with. If during the import you choose to have the ROMs imported into your LB folder than your install of LB is 100% portable you can move it anywhere and it will work instantly but if you choose to keep the ROMs in their own directory structure that you already had going on then it could be portable as long as the machine you move every thing to is using the same exact drive letter as the one you set up on your original machine So if your Nintendo 64 games are located at D:\Emulators\Nintendo\Nintendo 64 on machine 1 then it has to be located at D:\Emulators\Nintendo\Nintendo 64 on machine 2 also. If things don't match you can also use the find and replace feature inside of Notepad++ to change the paths in the platform specific xml file it will allow you to change all the current paths to the new one in a few key strokes.

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

If during the import you choose to have the ROMs imported into your LB folder than your install of LB is 100% portable

Which is also true, but as long as they are on the same hard drive they use relative paths. I almost always find it a bad idea to do this. When it comes to most systems doing this breaks the games, like disc based games or MAME games for example.

Thanks I'm sure I'll be asking more question.like on my gaming rig external drive for all Launchbox things I also have hyper spin ,rocket launcher ,rooms.now last night I was looking at some Launchbox themes but didn't know we're I place them once I downloaded them from the forum.i couldn't find a folder in Launchbox for these themes,do I just make a folder and place in main folder for launchbox

thanks for coming back so quick

Easy solution to that for the disk based games is to move them completely to you LB folder before import then import just the file type you need then all of your files are located in the right place and you can always put your MAME ROMs there and just change the directory. That being said I never change my ROM paths from the ones I had established before I discovered LB so I don't set mine up that way either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CALLSTANLEY247 said:

Thanks I'm sure I'll be asking more question.like on my gaming rig external drive for all Launchbox things I also have hyper spin ,rocket launcher ,rooms.now last night I was looking at some Launchbox themes but didn't know we're I place them once I downloaded them from the forum.i couldn't find a folder in Launchbox for these themes,do I just make a folder and place in main folder for launchbox

thanks for coming back so quick

There should be a Themes folder in the LB folder, but this also requires Big Box, so it may not create the Themes folder if you haven't loaded up Big Box which requires LaunchBox Premium.

• Like 1

Thanks dos76 I do still have a seprete folder for all my rooms on the same drive as my Launchbox 

i have downloaded the Launchbox install opened it up and at the moment it is copying over the Launchbox folder from my external drive.then I'll open Launchbox and start importing the rooms for each system I want to install .is this correct

thanks again

Okay let us know how it goes and will help you out if you run into any issues. I wouldn't have downloaded LB again I would have just copied the whole folder and it should have worked assuming your laptop has the necessary versions of .net installed already but how your doing it should also work.

Great I'm copying over the platform roms for one system the now .should I just copy over the emulator folder I have on my external.when I selected import roms and selected the path for the emulator I couldn't find were I should place them so just pressed the link at top right of page and downloaded the emulator.it has downloaded it to downloads should I be placing this in a folder within Launchbox or should I make a folder within systems rom folder and call it emulator

I know I'm asking a lot but I'm not getting there.now I sure I read or watched a clip about making a log for yourself over at Launchbox to help with what's wrong on my system.i know it's a big ask but is there anyone who would fancy team viewing with me and helping me sort this issue I'm having .got the pcsx2-1.4.0 setup exe have to place my admin password in every time I select a game then it want to run through  choose which features of pcsx2 you want to install.i have selected them all and once I press next it brings up destination folder c:\program files (x86)pcsx2 1.4.0 .i press install and once it has completed successfully I click close.i select a game and the pcsx2 asks me if I will allow app to make changes.i type my password in and select yes it brings up pcsx2 choose components that you want to install I select next again and the choose location part of the install pops up again.i think I'm making a big mess of this.

anyone willing to take a look kind folk

Edited by CALLSTANLEY247

I'm thinking that.im only doing the ps2 with pcsx2 the now but I'm finding that I need to right click on cover art click edit and repoint every game in that system .is this right should I go into soothing else? I'm also having trouble with trying to get inputmapper to sync the program runs but I'm thinking I must be forgetting something as I'm using inputmapper upstairs in my big rig.can anyone help do I go into config in  pcsx2  menu and select plugin.