LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox import crashes when importing some games

locvez

I'm trying to import my Nintendo - Famicom Disk System - it's the no-intro set.

If I try to import the entire folder, it bombs out without imprting anything, it goes through the whole process until the page where it parses the files, displays the list then you click next and the import crashes, no error message, nothing.

So I imported the files one-by-one and all was well until I reached these files :

Fruits Mahjong 1 - Disk 1 - Mahjong Game Hontai (Japan) (Unl) <-IMPORTED FINE
Fruits Mahjong 1 - Disk 2 - Dai H Taikai (Japan) (Unl) <- IMPORT CRASHED
Fruits Mahjong 2 - Disk 1 - Tokimeki Gals (Japan) (Unl) <- IMPORTED FINE
Fruits Mahjong 2 - Disk 2 - Yonin to Dai H Taikai (Japan) (Unl) <- IMPORT CRASHED

I think it's related to the Disk 1 / Disk 2 thing ?

It was also doing this when I was trying to import PSX games from Amazon Cloud Drive but when I used a local folder or local network location it imported ok.

@Jason Carr - Is there any way to run a debugger on LB or log anything to identify the issue?

There is no debugger unfortunately, one would need to be made. Just to make sure, you don't have any games without a platform right? It LaunchBox detects a duplicate game, it just wont import it. It's odd that zero games ever get added. Did those file names have any special characters as well, or was it regular English Unicode script?

Hi @DOS76 and @SentaiBrad disk 2 doesn't get listed as an additional app, the actual import fails to execute at all if disk 1 and disk 2 are imported for this platform.

No games are missing platforms, this is also on a fresh install of 7.0 the games have no special characters, appears exactly as above. It imports all other games in this platform without issue (I've yet to move on to other platforms with a disk 1 and disk 2 game but it imported Sony playstation with multiple discs without issue when it searched local storage - I've avoided asking LB to scrape networked drives at present)

EDIT - I removed the - disk 1 and - disk 2 text from the file name and both games imported without issue. there are other games in the list where the disks are titled (Disk 1) and (Disk 2) at the end of the filename. I added the (Disk 1) and (Disk 2) back to the filename in parenthesis and the import tool crashed again, no matter where in the filename the Disk 1 and Disk 2 text was placed. I then tried to import the Disk 2 file without Disk 1 - the import tool yet again crashed.

@Jason Carr

Could this be due to the filenames being different but named Disk 1 and Disk 2 - the import tool is looking for Disk 1 with the exact same filename, not finding it, then crashing?

Edited by locvez

I've never had an issue with this before that I can recall but it could it be the actual length of the name or that the disk one and disk two part of it aren't at the end of the name

Instead of using Fruits Mahjong 1 - Disk 2 - Mahjong Game Hontai (Japan) (Unl)  try Fruits Mahjong 1- Mahjong Game Hontai (japan) - Disk 2

also are these the only multi disk games you have that have two region specified that was why I left the (Unl) out of the example file name I typed. Now that LB handles region tags maybe it doesn't like it if a game has more than one or maybe UNL is one that it doesn't recognize I really don't know just spitballing theories.

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

Tried putting the Disk # at the end of the file name, still no dice, It can't be related to filename length, Disk 2 string is less than Disk 1, Disk 2 imports fine without "Disk 2" in title. I haven't bothered to name the filenames exactly the same yet as they are technically different but it would make sense that an error is thrown due to not finding SAME_NAME_STRING Disk 1. As for multiple regions, all other games import fine, it's only Disk2 files that have an issue, there's 2 games with the same name disk 1 and disk 2 that import fine, but these 2 games have slightly different names in the filename

Thanks all for the replies

They're in x:/roms/Nintendo famicom disk system/roms name

Same issue if copied to x:/ 

I renamed a random rom file from another system to include the text Disk 2 and it also failed in the same way. 

I renamed the second file to have the exact same name as the disk 1 file and it imported perfectly AS LONG AS disk 1 was imported first or along with disk 2. No issues. It's definitely not finding disk 1 then silently failing 

Edited by locvez
Spelling - on phone

FruitsMahjong.JPGNot that this should matter but in trying to test I come across differently named games which have the correct individual title at the end but not the correct  furit mahjong number or disk number I'm wondering whose naming is right this sight is using no intro