LaunchBox Community Forums

Save/Load State in MAME without keyboard

Crush

Here's a little trick if you want to use Save/Load States in MAME and you don't have access to a keyboard.

MAME assigns by default the Save State to shift+F7. Then it pops up a window asking for a number slot. Similarly the Load State is assigned to F7 and then asks for a number slot.

1. Assign through MAME the Save State to an unused controller button, for example B10

2. Assign through MAME the Load State to a unused controller button on the same controller, for example B11

3. When you want to save your game press B10 and when it asks for a slot number, press B11 (the trick is that MAME accepts anything as slot number, not only numbers, so in this case it saves the state as "joyx-11.sta"!)

4. When you want to load your game press B11 and when it asks for a slot number press B11 again

Edited by Crush

• 1 year later...

Hi @crush, I have tried to do it with MAME 0.142 but it not allows to assign Joystick/Buttons to save states.

Which version are using you? 

I have tested it in modern versions and it appears that now is fully supported, but anyway I still want to make it in 0.142 version 

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2017 at 10:04 PM, Crush said:

Here's a little trick if you want to use Save/Load States in MAME and you don't have access to a keyboard.

MAME assigns by default the Save State to shift+F7. Then it pops up a window asking for a number slot. Similarly the Load State is assigned to F7 and then asks for a number slot.

1. Assign through MAME the Save State to an unused controller button, for example B10

2. Assign through MAME the Load State to a unused controller button on the same controller, for example B11

3. When you want to save your game press B10 and when it asks for a slot number, press B11 (the trick is that MAME accepts anything as slot number, not only numbers, so in this case it saves the state as "joyx-11.sta"!)

4. When you want to load your game press B11 and when it asks for a slot number press B11 again

I didn't catch that!  how can i assign b10 and b11 with controller? I'm using a xbox 360 mame version but i don't get setting the save state with controller.

On 1/5/2017 at 10:04 PM, Crush said: