LaunchBox Community Forums

Total Noob with lots of questions

ABeezy13

Dang, PS4 controller over wireless/bluetooth still doesn't want to play nice. I am on the stable build 1.3.6... I selected "wireless controller one" like Monkus has mentioned and it is on and paired to my PC... but nothing happens. I tried to manually set the binds through RA, no buttons still work after that. Should I get the input mapper? What is that going to do essentially in this case?

Uninstall Input Mapper and try this:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

Input Mapper is a fork of this program. I've never had success with Input Mapper in Windows 10, but I have used the OG wrapper for the last 3yrs with PS3 and PS4 controllers in Windows 7/8/10. Just follow the directions listed that are specific to PS4, though you may need to purchase a Bluetooth Dongle for wireless (I recommend the ASUS BT 20.11 since I know it is compatible and cheap: $10). For the bit about Zadig, this package will have an outdated version of it, so you can get the newest version from here:

http://zadig.akeo.ie/

Just replace the EXE in the Zadig folder in the SCP download with the one linked above.

Also, Input Mapper and the SCP driver linked above trick Windows into thinking your DS4 is an X360 controller. It allows the DS4 to use Xinput instead of Dinput, so anything that supports Xinput (like most games release for PC these days and RA/Big Box) will automatically work with the controller.

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

Well, they're not using any software right now as far as I can tell, they're using the default wireless stuff, but even then, Input Mapper works totally fine. It's worked great for a long time now. Input Mapper is also not a fork of that software at all, it's a continuation from another piece of software that came early on after the PS4 controller came out, but was discontinued.

2 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

Uninstall Input Mapper and try this:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

Input Mapper is a fork of this program. I've never had success with Input Mapper in Windows 10, but I have used the OG wrapper for the last 3yrs with PS3 and PS4 controllers in Windows 7/8/10. Just follow the directions listed that are specific to PS4, though you may need to purchase a Bluetooth Dongle for wireless (I recommend the ASUS BT 20.11 since I know it is compatible and cheap: $10). For the bit about Zadig, this package will have an outdated version of it, so you can get the newest version from here:

http://zadig.akeo.ie/

Just replace the EXE in the Zadig folder in the SCP download with the one linked above.

Also, Input Mapper and the SCP driver linked above trick Windows into thinking your DS4 is an X360 controller. It allows the DS4 to use Xinput instead of Dinput, so anything that supports Xinput (like most games release for PC these days and RA/Big Box) will automatically work with the controller.

Hmmm sorry you had an issue with the input mapper I have not tried it yet. Just was seeing if it "just worked" with RA but I cannot get it to do so. I will give the input mapper a shot and if not I will certainly try out what you've supported! I do have a bluetooth dongle in my PC right now , which seemed to pair just fine with my controller but RA just will not recognize it.

2 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

Well, they're not using any software right now as far as I can tell, they're using the default wireless stuff, but even then, Input Mapper works totally fine. It's worked great for a long time now. Input Mapper is also not a fork of that software at all, it's a continuation from another piece of software that came early on after the PS4 controller came out, but was discontinued.

So by downloading input mapper and then pairing that with my PS4 controller it may help out with working in RetroArch? Also, today again whenever I seem to add or attempt to add a second controller to the inputs my #1 input bind (8bitdo SNES bluetooth controller) stops working. This is the only frustrating thing so far is these dang controllers! :( 

I haven't used multiple controllers, nor InputMapper with the wireless dongle. It should be that you connect your controller and the PC thinks it's xinput because IP, but I use a usb cable. Is InputMapper showing that it's reading your PS4 controller? It needs to be opened up in Exclusive Mode. There are tools built in to help Windows let go and make it Exclusive mode, but sometimes software like Steam needs to be closed for it to work because software like Steam can interfere with it.

For the controllers, it should be that you plug them in and set them. What I think might be happening is when you plug in the second controller, the 1st player controls are being automatically reassigned, which normally with 1 controller is very good. You could uncheck autoconfig enable, but then you'd have to set your controls manually. Or, plug in your first one, disable the autoconfig, set your second one and make a custom config you can load each time to go back to the two player control scheme, but have the default or regular system configs be back to single player autoconfig.

9 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

I haven't used multiple controllers, nor InputMapper with the wireless dongle. It should be that you connect your controller and the PC thinks it's xinput because IP, but I use a usb cable. Is InputMapper showing that it's reading your PS4 controller? It needs to be opened up in Exclusive Mode. There are tools built in to help Windows let go and make it Exclusive mode, but sometimes software like Steam needs to be closed for it to work because software like Steam can interfere with it.

For the controllers, it should be that you plug them in and set them. What I think might be happening is when you plug in the second controller, the 1st player controls are being automatically reassigned, which normally with 1 controller is very good. You could uncheck autoconfig enable, but then you'd have to set your controls manually. Or, plug in your first one, disable the autoconfig, set your second one and make a custom config you can load each time to go back to the two player control scheme, but have the default or regular system configs be back to single player autoconfig.

My whole goal is to play all wirelessly with controllers... from your statement is that not possible with the PS4 controller? Another odd thing I seem to keep coming across is I turn off my bluetooth SNES 8itdo controller and then when I turn it back on to "game" again the config did not stick in RA.. which I have saved 10000 times... what gives?

This is literally the only thing dragging me down right now is this dang controller section :( 

Unfortunately right now they are having problems with their forums over on the Libretro site but I believe I have read about some of the same issues you are having over there before. If my memory is correct this is something they are aware of and working on, hopefully this is something that will be addressed in version 1.4.0. From my experiences with the nightly builds there does seem to be some work done on the controller side of things but of course I have no idea if they address the issues you are encountering.

20 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Unfortunately right now they are having problems with their forums over on the Libretro site but I believe I have read about some of the same issues you are having over there before. If my memory is correct this is something they are aware of and working on, hopefully this is something that will be addressed in version 1.4.0. From my experiences with the nightly builds there does seem to be some work done on the controller side of things but of course I have no idea if they address the issues you are encountering.

Thank you for the reply! Maybe I will monitor their forums and when they are back up and running I will try and see if anyone over there has any suggestions. I do know from when I first installed the nightly before I did my restart the PS4 controller seemed to just "work". The issue in that build I had too was once setting up controller two, controller one didnt work. These dang controllers :P Hmm... to purchase BigBox and set that up while I wait... decisions decisions...

I dont necsarlly have friends, but different wireless controllers for the different systems. I like being able to play them with the accurate controller for each console (as long as the make wireless replicas ie. Playstation, N64 and NES/SNES) I be you are right though with RA auto detect.

Now while I wait for the RA forums to come back online.. is big box easy to set up and get a nice sexy theme going? I did watch Brads video at work on "how to make your launch box look like ours" but I don't necessarily want the exact same theme :P

BigBox is easy to setup but when it comes to the theme stuff I can't say anything about it because I don't bother with any of the themes at all, the standard theme suits my tastes perfectly.

Something you may want to look into for your controller issues though is look in the autoconfig folder. In there you will find several folders, look in the folder labeled hid and in there the config labeled Sony_Computer_Entertainment_Wireless_Controller.cfg might be the one for your controller. You might be able to edit that to your liking, just a thought, no idea if it's what you are looking for or not.

Awesome, probably give BoxBox a shot later this evening or tomorrow afternoon once I am off work! As far as the config file goes, I found it ok and this is what it shows when I open it with WordPad:

input_device = "Wireless Controller"
input_driver = "hid"
input_vendor_id  = 1356
input_product_id = 1476
input_b_btn = "0"
input_y_btn = "1"
input_select_btn = "2"
input_start_btn = "3"
input_up_btn = "4"
input_down_btn = "5"
input_left_btn = "6"
input_right_btn = "7"
input_a_btn = "8"
input_x_btn = "9"
input_l_btn = "10"
input_r_btn = "11"
input_l2_btn = "12"
input_r2_btn = "13"
input_l3_btn = "14"
input_r3_btn = "15"
input_l_x_plus_axis = "+0"
input_l_x_minus_axis = "-0"
input_l_y_plus_axis = "+1"
input_l_y_minus_axis = "-1"
input_r_x_plus_axis = "+2"
input_r_x_minus_axis = "-2"
input_r_y_plus_axis = "+3"
input_r_y_minus_axis = "-3"
input_menu_toggle_btn = "31"

input_b_btn_label = "Cross"
input_y_btn_label = "Square"
input_select_btn_label = "Share"
input_start_btn_label = "Start"
input_up_btn_label = "D-Pad Up"
input_down_btn_label = "D-Pad Down"
input_left_btn_label = "D-Pad Left"
input_right_btn_label = "D-Pad Right"
input_a_btn_label = "Circle"
input_x_btn_label = "Triangle"
input_l_btn_label = "L1"
input_r_btn_label = "R1"
input_l2_btn_label = "L2"
input_r2_btn_label = "L2"
input_l3_btn_label = "L3"
input_r3_btn_label = "R3"
input_l_x_plus_axis_label = "Left Analog X+"
input_l_x_minus_axis_label = "Left Analog X-"
input_l_y_plus_axis_label = "Left Analog Y+"
input_l_y_minus_axis_label = "Left Analog Y-"
input_r_x_plus_axis_label = "Right Analog X+"
input_r_x_minus_axis_label = "Right Analog X-"
input_r_y_plus_axis_label = "Right Analog Y+"
input_r_y_minus_axis_label = "Right Analog Y-"
input_menu_toggle_btn_label = "PS"

So it looks like it was auto set/configured. Just really strange why it wont work... unless I need the inputmapper like Brad mentioned?

If you want multiple controllers to be set up, but for different consoles, not for actual multiplayer, it might just be easier to let it auto assign and use custom configs where needed (like the RetroLink N64 controllers). At any rate though, it is starting to get out of hand for us. The PS4 controller does work wirelessly, easily, Sony just released an official dongle after all, but I think Monkus is right in saying that your specific set up is just giving it some issues. I think most people who are in a similar situation don't think about having them all connected at once.

As for the theme, you don't have to use that theme, but it's the same process regardless for installing Themes. Grab the theme, put it in the Themes folder, follow any special instructions from the theme creator, enable it and you're good to go. There is an older, more generalized theme video, but we were asked specifically for help on how to make Big Box look like those demo videos.

Setting up different controllers is easy enough, at least in my setup it was.

To start I have 2 wired controllers hooked up, 1 Xbox 360 and 1 Hori FC pad. What I did was for each core I loaded up a game and then brought up the RA menu and the in the Input settings I selected the controller I wanted to use for that system.

Example: Genesis to use the Fight Commander and N64 the Xbox 360 controller.

With per-core config on these cores just remembered to use these controllers.

But again I believe this works more with the fact I am using wired controllers and I think Retroarch may not be so nice with wireless controllers as it auto-configs when the controller is turned on.

Thanks guys that makes sense and I can give that a try to see if it works out easier for me. That leads me to one question for the time being until I try this... under my just default config I will need to at least assign a controller right? For when I have BigBox open, or do I do that in BigBox and has nothing to do with RA?

Thanks Brad about the tidbit on the themes I will make sure to follow the user specific directions on whichever one(s) I download!

Well good news. I did what you said Monkus... I loaded up a PS1 game, F1 to go to RA, I turned off my SNES controller and made sure my PS4 controller was on (wireless) and I changed pad 1 to Dualshock and boom! It works :D So I will just configure the controllers in each specific core! ... hopefully the N64 one works out nicely. I think I am going to purchase a bluetooth one that I linked a page back! Will report back once Amazon delivers it.