LaunchBox Community Forums

Transferring game saves

ABeezy13

So I have a general "noob" thread where I have been asking all my questions with wonderful support from Brad and Monkus but figured this was a little more specific. So I hope this is the right spot to ask this... I did several google searches and searched here specifically and I cannot find a direct answer so wondering if anyone else has done something like this...

I have recently got into setting up Launchbox and setting everything up to my liking, then I will be purchasing big box. I am currently working on setting up PS1 in LaunchBox/RetroArch and using the core Mednafen PSX. My question is...I am doing this all on my PC however on my MacBook Pro I have OpenEMU... the core they use for PS1 Emulation is "Mednafen" I am not sure if its exactly the same or different? I have previously in the past done a little retro gaming with OpenEmu and this "Mednafen" core. I wanted to transfer my saved games from the original Spyro the Dragon PS1 game as well as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. However after I attempted this it did not work. On OpenEmu when I navigate to where the saved games are they are located within the Mednafen folder, then under "battery saves" as shown in the attachment. It looks like these saves are in the .mcr format. Would they be the same on my windows PC version of Mednafen PSX? I did locate the saved games location and dropped them in there... but they did not work, I also tried renaming the save file to the title of the game also which did not work.

Has anyone successfully done this, and if so do you mind explaining how/what I am doing wrong?

PS1 OpenEmu Mac Saves.png

I noticed that as well within Mednafen PSX within RA on my PC. My Mac on OpenEmu its just called Mednafen... not sure if theres a difference there. But it looks like for whatever reason I only have the .mcr files on here and not the .srm files... hmm weird. However it does look like it creates two .mcr files for each game which is odd.

Mednafen for RA and standalone Mednafen are the same, but not exactly. The RA version of Mednafen is Libretros (the RA devs) version of it and I don't know if they get support from the Mednafen devs for their development of the RA core and, from what I can gather about OpenEMU, it's basically the same idea as RA and uses a core version ("meat and potatoes" of the emulator) of Mednafen that those devs develop. In any case, I use the standalone version of Mednafen for TG-16/CD and Saturn. Anyway, that's Mednafen: it's a multi-system emulator.

To answer your question, without the SRM file, you won't be able to import your saves over, unfortunately.

I did a test using Blood Omen with ePSXe (the emu that I use for PS One), standalone Mednafen and the Mednafen PS RA core.

ePSXe creates memory cards for all of your game saves, just like an actual PS one memory card, with the MCR extension (epsxe000.mcr for Memory Card 1 and epsxe001.mcr for Memory Card 2); it doesn't create a separate SRM file for the game.

Standalone Mednafen also did not create a separate SRM file for me; it generated SAV files (which is what the Virtual Boy Medafen core in RA produces, as well... which is weird because I always assumed the RA Medafen cores were the same one, just using different command line configs... not sure there).

Only the RA version of Mednafen creates an MCR specific to the game being saved and an associated SRM.

So it's something specific to RA because all save files for any platform I use RA for (SNES/GBA/NDS, etc.) all have the SRM extension to their save files.

Hope that helps!

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed response CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT. Much appreciate it! That all does make sense and I totally understand. With that being said, do you know is it possible to somehow convert or change my files into something that the RA Mednafen uses so I can continue my saves? Or is this impossible to do and I am out of luck and will have to start fresh...?

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed response CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT. Much appreciate it! That all does make sense and I totally understand. With that being said, do you know is it possible to somehow convert or change my files into something that the RA Mednafen uses so I can continue my saves? Or is this impossible to do and I am out of luck and will have to start fresh...?