LaunchBox Community Forums

Demul too slow vs NullDC

snoopybooh

I know that DC emu scene is far from being perfect, but why in the earth the abandoned NullDC is way faster than Demul? It's like 2 days that I'm trying to tweak Demul to try to get a decent playable speed to run DC games at Internal Resolution 2x, but I just get slowdowns or not-so smooth framerate. Also I have to disable the Autosort and V-sync(this one it's not a big deal actually) and disabling the first one causes horrible glitches in HUD graphics and generally 2D graphics. I wouldn't mind about the native resolution, but I owned a real DC and the resolution wasn't so bad as the one you see when you put Demul with 1x IR. From what I read on the Internet many people are able to run games smoothly in Demul with 2x IR (and even higher IR) so why can't I? I know that demul needs a very powerful pc, but I thought that my pc with i7-6700, 20GB and GTX960 would be at least acceptable to run this emulator with decent graphics settings. Am I wrong?

On the other side I was quite shocked to see how fast can run games an old DC emulator such as NullDC... 

I really need your both opinions and suggestions!

With emulation the technically better an emulator gets the more processing power it requires. As emulators get more accurate which means the more games that run with fewer flaws you need more and more CPU power to achieve this accuracy. Look at Super Nintendo emulation for example, take ZSnes, Snes9x and HiGan (BSnes). ZSnes will practically run on a toaster (200 too 400 MHz Pentium) but it only runs about 50 games without issues. Then you get the Snes9x which requires way more CPU than ZSnes but way more games run properly on it. And then we come to HiGan which is virtually 100% accurate and requires a modern 3 GHz CPU to run it full speed but it runs every single game at or near perfection.

This is why NullDC runs faster, while it runs better on lower end hardware Demul is the more accurate emulator and runs more games without problems.

Your system should be able to handle Demul though, it runs fine for me with higher internal resolution. My system is an AMD 8350 @ 4 GHz, 16 gigs ram, GTX 970.