LaunchBox Community Forums

Internet Rom Archive

chewz

I have a great setup using kodi and Internet Rom Archive:- http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231339

It lets you use retroarch as base emulator and gives you all emulators and game lists selectable to play. You can just choose a game off the list and the addon will auto dl the rom from archive.org allow play and then delete it from the cache. You can also save them if you choose. Could something like this happen for Launchbox? saves alot of space!

Thanks

You wouldn't be emulating the game yourself, the emulator (retroarch) would be.

All this addon does is give you a list of systems to choose, once chosen it then lists all roms available for that system. You would then select the rom which is then automatically downloaded to a temporary folder which then automatically launches retroarch and loads the game. I believe the roms are downloaded from archive.org it can also grab all metadata. Once you exit the game and back to the rom select screen, the rom is deleted from a temp folder. You do have options to store the game which helps for the bigger games (psx etc)

One of the best addons I've ever seen, has so many platforms I wouldn't normally think to play, and all metadata and artwork is already setup

Not saying this is a good or bad idea but I do think this is an extremely niche use thing. For small easy to store cartridge based games having them on a hard drive is next to nothing in terms of drive space so having to rely on an internet connection to play games is rather silly. Then for the larger CD based games I really don't want to have to wait for the games to download before I can play them. I know that's my personal view on it and not everyones but I still think it's a niche use idea.

The really gray area for this using my internet legal expert degree (which is nothing) comes is when Launchbox could be viewed as a way of obtaining copyrighted content directly using a pay for program like Launchbox is. I really do not think it's a good idea for Jason to open himself up to this sort of possible legal problem.

Would it make life easy for some people ? Yes, most definitely it would but I don't think it's a rabbit hole worth sticking your head into.

• Like 1

I hope my post didn't seem like I was for or against this in anyway. Llike lordmonkus said this is going to be very niche. I was just questioning the logic of the response. I just tested this if you go to the add button and add a game and put in the games url the page will launch from LB now all you need to do is is figure out how to pass the button presses to start the game and make it go full screen which I'm sure is possible but I don't know how to do it but that would allow you to play it on the browser and not using any of your emulators which is a little different from what you are asking

No, I'm fine with the emulators part, I mean the games. Even if we're not giving someone the games, we're still facilitating that connection and means we would have to store roms or use the Internet Archive to give the user a game to play. What Monkus is saying is my concern. We can't really do anything with this when copyrighted material is being passed through it. It's one thing for the user to have to supply these, it's another if the application helps in any way. This is cool for users who want this though, something on the go even.

Edit: Yea, I re-read my reply and I did leave out some key words xD Whoops. If we devloped an emulator, that would be fine. If we developed an emulator that performed something like this, or even if we used other emulators for functions like this, that would be a big no no.

I am sorry though, I do hate to be the bearer of bad news in these situations, I would love to say yes to everything. xD In a perfect world, we could, but if people want us to keep doing what we do, then we have to be very careful in those situations, which generally means we just can't do them.

• Like 1

In the realm of the grey area we live in, this certainly rides that fine line much more than anything else I've seen in a while. In all reality, there's the possibility that we could host roms, or faciltate that connection and nothing bad ever happen to us, or it could also be that we let this slide just slightly once, and suddenly we're being sued. It could go easily in either direction, but we don't want to take that chance, we love this way too much. Jason and I talked about that at length a long time ago, we just love this too much.