LaunchBox Community Forums

How can I updated my "portable" Launchbox??

shaolin95

Hello!
So my Launch Box on my Minipc was taken from my main pc so I just grabbed the folders without actually installing on the Mini PC. Unfortunately this is causing an issue when trying to update now as it gives me some error about needing a drive letter or so....
Can I get the update installation file and maybe installed over the current version location without losing all the data I have downloaded already?
Any other idea?

Thanks!

If you update LaunchBox, that wont fix your drive paths. If your games or emulators were kept on a different hard drive, then LaunchBox needs to assign a full path to them so it knows where they are. If all of your games and emulators were kept on the same drive or within the LaunchBox folder, then it uses relative paths and can be moved to any PC without the need of LaunchBox knowing what drive letter it's on, the folder structure technically never changed. If you can't mimic the same folder structure on your other PC (with the hard drive letters and all), then the next easiest method is changing the drive letters. You can use Notepad++ to open up your platform XML's. This is where all of the information is kept about your games per platform. They're in ../LaunchBox/Data/Platforms. Close down LaunchBox and  open up the XML for the platform you're having trouble with. You'll press Ctrl + F to search and go to the replace tab. If the old drive path was... say, D:/Emulators, or D:/Roms, search for "D:/Roms" and replace it with your new drive letter, like "F:/Roms". Click Replace all, save the XML and open up LaunchBox to see if the changes took effect. Before I moved all of my emulation stuff to one 8TB Hard Drive, I would have to do this if I moved roms or emulators.

You could also delete all your games, re-import them and uncheck all of the media boxes to import really fast, but that can take a bit longer than the other method. All of your old artwork will re-attach automatically, but yea, the find and replace method is still faster.

4 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

If you update LaunchBox, that wont fix your drive paths. If your games or emulators were kept on a different hard drive, then LaunchBox needs to assign a full path to them so it knows where they are. If all of your games and emulators were kept on the same drive or within the LaunchBox folder, then it uses relative paths and can be moved to any PC without the need of LaunchBox knowing what drive letter it's on, the folder structure technically never changed. If you can't mimic the same folder structure on your other PC (with the hard drive letters and all), then the next easiest method is changing the drive letters. You can use Notepad++ to open up your platform XML's. This is where all of the information is kept about your games per platform. They're in ../LaunchBox/Data/Platforms. Close down LaunchBox and  open up the XML for the platform you're having trouble with. You'll press Ctrl + F to search and go to the replace tab. If the old drive path was... say, D:/Emulators, or D:/Roms, search for "D:/Roms" and replace it with your new drive letter, like "F:/Roms". Click Replace all, save the XML and open up LaunchBox to see if the changes took effect. Before I moved all of my emulation stuff to one 8TB Hard Drive, I would have to do this if I moved roms or emulators.

You could also delete all your games, re-import them and uncheck all of the media boxes to import really fast, but that can take a bit longer than the other method. All of your old artwork will re-attach automatically, but yea, the find and replace method is still faster.

I dont think we are talking about the same thing. When I moved Launchbox full folder to my mini pc I made sure that the USB flash drive that has all the Roms and Emulators had the same drive letter as the harddrive on my PC so it worked right away without me having to configure anything. 
The problem seems to be that because I never installed Launchbox on the Mini PC , now it cannot actually upgrade it. Makes sense? :)

Huh... that's a new one. So just the auto-updater wont work? I read something about Drive letters being wrong, so I went with what I know about Drive letters, sorry about that. You can grab the latest version from the site and install it on top of your currenlt install, and everything will keep intact. It doesn't overwrite anything for settings and games.

So I tried installing over the existing "portable" installation and none of my games are showing so I am imported them but unchecked all the media things as I saw the images and movies still on the folders but it seems that everything shows up without a photo for the game.  I am at work now so will need to check again later. Weird 
I may just finish updating on my main PC instead then move it to the mini pc and call it a day

Actually it was installed on my Main PC so on the mini PC it was never really installed, I just copied all the folder from my main PC to the mini PC.
That is what created the issue during the update on the Mini PC. But yes, it is on a thumb drive on the mini pc now.

Edited by shaolin95