LaunchBox Community Forums

Handheld Big Box

JerseyXS97

This is still very much a WIP as I test what games do and do not work well on this awesome little handheld, but I am very satisfied with how well these two work together. For those who are unaware, the GPD Win is a handheld Windows 10 device sporting an Intel Atom z8700 that is about the size of a 3DS XL which is just fantastic for portability. It has a built-in XInput controller, so I don't really need to do any tweaking to get Big Box working here. I copied my Desktop's LaunchBox/Big Box over to this little wonder and started sorting the games out, and I feel I've sorted out enough to give you guys a general idea of just how well this works. It runs a decent amount of PS2 and GC games smoothly, as well as a couple of more recent titles.

Big box runs like a dream on here, effectively turning this mini PC into the ultimate handheld console. Apologies for the terrible quality in the photos. Screenshots of the collection wouldn't do the concept of this whole thing very much justice and I only have a phone camera ;_;

20170122_210925.jpg

20170122_210045.jpg

• Like 2

It's quite nice, even if it's a bit expensive. I actually bought a 64GB micro USB stick and a 128GB microSDXC card to load up for use with this. Right now the current project is finding a theme that would suit this well, though the default is a pretty good option.

7 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

I've been wanting to get one of these things, but money. X_X Either one of these, or an Android based handheld like this. 3DS or Vita style xD

I own a GPDXD as well and, while LaunchBox isn't really an option, it's quite a nice alternative as an emulation machine. These two might be nice to keep an eye on as well:

Smach Z: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc-games#top

PGS Lab: http://pgslab.com/

Edited by JerseyXS97

Yea we were talking about it in the discord last night, $319 for the better version as a pre-order price is actually pretty damn sweet. I wish I could come up with that kind of cash. X_X Jason and I have been thinking about getting machines to do a lot of testing of LaunchBox and Big Box so we can officially have some sort of baseline for expected performance, this could fit nicely in a portable category. Again though, damn money. xD