LaunchBox Community Forums

HD space required for videos? run videos off network?

danpow

My launchbox PC is pretty much a thin client. silent, small, and lean

I run all my roms off the network, and even big isos work pretty well. 

I keep all images, banners etc on the PC running launchbox becasue I want them to cache quickly. They don't take up too much space, and my 120gb SSD has plenty (ish) of room left.

I haven't got space in the PC for a second drive.

Upgrading the SSD to accomodate the videos is my next step, but i don't know how big to go.

Can anyone advise, roughly, how much space a given collection of videos take up? I want to pick up and install the drive before subscribing to EmuMovies, so i have no idea how big their video files are.

Running the videos off the network is also an option, but i feel like it may be a step too far... Does anyone do that sucessfully? 

Thanks peeps,

dp

It depends really on the number of games you have and which specific systems do you have really. My video folder is around 55GB and I don't know how many videos I don't have I haven't check lately on this PC what is missing. Obscure systems may have no videos where things like NES and SNES probably have one for over 90% of the games.

Edited by DOS76

Thanks@DOS76
Yeah I know that total video collections size will be proportional to game collection size ;-)
Your 55gb of vids, would you guess you're in the hundreds, or thousands of videos?
I guess my question really is:
What's the average file size of video, and what's the average number of videos per rom.
I want to upgrade to a drive which will be capable of holding all the videos (available) for all the platforms I use.
Thanks again for the response.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The file sizes vary so much I have videos that are 12,000KB and some that are 2800kb but only two seconds shorter its all over the place plus if you get more than snaps and get the 1080 recorded Hyperspin videos they are probably much bigger so you question is hard to quantify really sorry I can't be more specific.

Yea, it might be worthwhile to copy your install else where so you can get a more accurate measure? To be honest, an SSD wont give you a ton of extra performance where a 7200RPM SAT3 can't handle. The CPU is the most important, followed by the GPU for Big Box. So if you're that worried, you could put LaunchBox on an SSD, and your games and video on a regular hard drive, you can tell LaunchBox where to look. Or, keep it all on the same internal hard drive as that will make it the best for portability. If the size of the PC is of concern, a 5400RPM SATA3 2.5" Hard Drive will still work, but you're not gonna get the sizes needed for a collection. I'd be curious to see how PS2 or GameCube games load off your network too, I would imagine those would give some issue.

Here's the size of my video, and my library has just over 30k game entries:

tsUWge6.png

thanks for all the info everyone :-)

@SentaiBrad - Wii, PS2 & Gamecube games play smooth as butter off the network. I wouldn't compromise the launchbox experience ;-) if you consider the technical limits of CD and DVD media, even reasonably well set up wifi will wipe the floor with optical media in terms of bandwidth and (especially) access times.

I can only fit one drive in the PC case, so I need to get it right. I use this case:

http://www.antec.com/product.php?fid=5022033&id=706714&lan=nz

the drive needs to be an ssd because of the lack of mechanical noise. the Launchbox PC is currently 0dB, and i like it that way!

It seems like the file sizes are pretty small for these videos - @wize - nearly 12,000 game videos under 60 gig? nice!

@DOS76 - considering 12meg as a 'big' video file (excluding HD) gives me something good to work with; thanks.

on the subject of pesky relatives hogging your precious gaming bandwidth, I have found DDWRT and QOS very useful ;-)