LaunchBox Community Forums

Missing art?

floodie

Hi guys - new to this. Just finished making my first standup machine for my son and using hyperspin.. however im quite keen on Launch box and upon giving it a go everything went fine however ive imported a few systems and noticed quite a few missing art works when looking at the list of games in any given system... So for instance i can see (and play when clicked) Altered beast however it doesnt show a picture of the box/cart/whetever like most of the others do... 

i imported all metadata/art for each system using your wizard and as i said, most of the games are there however around 10% have no art.. Thanks guys

David

HyperSpin is more "Wheel" centric, what Launchbox calls "Clear Logos". So for HyperSpin stuff like Boxart is a happy bonus you can add to a theme. You might have noticed that LaunchBox is more centered around the Boxart (Although you can set it to view clear logos, etc). For a good many systems, Boxart exists for 100 percent (Think popular systems like Super Nintendo). For stuff like MAME and DOS the Art might not exist at all.

There is a few things you should know about scraping media with launchbox.

1: Launchbox has its own database for games, but can also pull from emumovies. If you have an emumovies account, link it.

2: Launchbox is pretty good about matching your rom names to it's database, but it doesn't always find them. So, when art is missing, the first thing you should do it right click the game in launchbox and go to "edit". At the very top of this screen you should see a title and to the right of that, a launchbox game ID number. If you do, this means that LB was able to find the game. At the bottom right you see the download media button. Use it. 

New Bitmap Image.jpgIf you don't see a launchbox ID it means 1 of 2 things: the game isn't in the LB database (This is rare for a lot of the common systems), or LB just couldn't find the game based on your rom name. Try changing the title around a bit and doing a search for the correct game. If you find it, download media as above.

Some games might not be in the LB database at all (yet)  which as I understand is an enormous WIP. If you can't find the game at all, then

3: You can use media and art from ANY source in LB. Then you just use art from you other front end or downloaded from the net and put it in the correct folder in LB (launchbox/images/box - front) for instance is a common folder. "Clear logos" for wheels. Most of it is self explanatory.

Hope it helps. 

• Like 1

Maybe the missing art is for roms from another region (besides USA)? Here's what I do in this instance: same as before, click edit on the game with no art, only this time click the "hide" button. This doesn't delete it from your database but will hide the entry while scrolling. You have to make sure "show hidden games" isn't checked in the LB menu, I think it's under "views" but I'm on my phone and can't double check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Of course. I found the games I couldn't get box art for were typically stuff I hadn't heard of. And hiding it if you're not going to play it is strictly an aesthetic choice, but with the LB Database being updated constantly, it may not be a permanent one.

But if its a case that your favorite game doesn't have the box art... your last recourse is to make it yourself (if scans exist), or make just some fan box art. If its REALLY important to you, you can request someone help you out on the forum. They may or may not. I myself tried to learn how to use GIMP editing software years ago when I was still using HyperSpin. I failed miserably haha. The fruits of literally a month of work were a few ugly bezels for use with Rocketlauncher. And they weren't even right. 

Remember, this entire community is mostly supported by volunteer work. Also remember that the list of games capable of being emulated is probably over 100K, so there's going to be some pitfalls. :D

If there's any particular games you have in mind right now, if you post here I"ll at least check to see if I have anything on em.

Yeah i see what you mean. I went through SNES, Megadrive and NES last night plucking out all the missing arts so they are done.. Next is the mammouth Mame... Had a flick through and there are quite a few missing so perhaps might do a few letters of the alphabet each night... most seem to be unknowns really which is cool. Any that are missing can be resolved using the method you gave me above EDIT > change the name slightly and redo the search and it normally appears.

Cheers again

Yeah, I haven't even gone through mame yet. I'm actually not an expert on it, but I remember there is this website where you can download, I think, something called mame flyers. These can be used to supplement your artwork. That, compounded with filtering mame down to no clones, regional, workable roms which you should be able to do in launchbox on import makes the task a little easier. Alternately, what I did was use my old hyperspin wheel art for mame and I just have it show wheel art (clear logos) instead of boxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk