LaunchBox Community Forums

Odd idea for a multiemulator BigBox rig

dukeemu

Just thinking about a strange solution for a retrogaming mancave I'm realizing right now: I have an old computer (still good for emulation) lying around. Without building an arcade cabinet, I was thinking to build only a large joystick controller for 2 players (eventually adding trackball, spinners and 2 USB gun controllers) and (this is the strange part) using a VESA staff to the wall with a large (40 inch at least) LCD/LED TV to get rotation of 90 degrees for arcade games who played in vertical monitor configuration and horizontal for other arcade games and classic consoles emulation. I know that LCD and LED TV are not the best solution, but with modern filters could be possible to achieve good video performance (brightness and/or resolution for example)? Today these 40"-42"-43" TVs are not so expensive and I know they are not computer monitors, but could be a good solution for playing emulated games? The PC is a i7-4700 overclocked to 4.5Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 780Ti 3Gb, 8Gb RAM Gskill Ripjaw, 2 SSD 256Gb OCX Vertex 3, 2 HDD WD 2 and 4 Tb, Creative SoundBlaster Xi-Fi: starting form this PC, which are the best solutions for a TVs? I hope anyone is giving me the right direction because I don't know which are the characteristics best suitable for this solution. Or is it a waste of time and money at all? Thank you in advance to all experts on this argument! O.o

Your old lying around computer isn't really that old and is still a very decent machine what you are describing is very doable I have my computers all connected to TV's and they are awesome for emulation as for what specific HDTV you should get a prefer Samsung myself but have a few Sony's around here that work great also one caveat of the Samsungs are that some models need to be put into game mode or the input lag will be unbearable

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Your old lying around computer isn't really that old and is still a very decent machine what you are describing is very doable I have my computers all connected to TV's and they are awesome for emulation as for what specific HDTV you should get a prefer Samsung myself but have a few Sony's around here that work great also one caveat of the Samsungs are that some models need to be put into game mode or the input lag will be unbearable

When I bought my house, I decided to spend a lot of money on a Samsung LED TV: after only 3 years, it was already broken beyond any chance of repair (just to let you know, the cost of repair was equal to the cost of my new LG 58" LED TV 4k...O.o), so I would like to remain far away as possible from Samsung. But this input lag you talk about, is it possible to understand if a TV or another have this problem before acquiring it? Or the best thing to do is checking for a Game Mode?

That PC is 4 years old and only the graphic card was updated 2 years ago from an old GeForce 480. Still a very good machine, in fact I called it "old" only because I have bought a new PC 3 months ago, not because is "incapable of"! :D

Another question comes to mind: could a TV have problems if turned 90 degrees and back too often?

I have 2 Samsung TV's both going strong after and 8 and 6 years so I've had nothing but good experiences with them and yeah TV repair is basically non existent anymore as its cheaper to get a new set.

If you want to really hardcore research models I'm sure you can find info on input lag and gaming performance from some source but I don't know really and when I bought these TV's I didn't know any of this stuff I only discovered the game mode thing because my input lag was so bad I had to research a solution.

I don't see how rotating the TV would cause it any damage as long as your cables aren't pulling in weird way that could maybe damage the port.

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

Even some TV's Game Mode wont solve the issues, it really depends on the make of that model and the board they used. Some manufactures, especially the cheaper ones, will put a game mode in, but it really does nothing. So it'll just take a bit of extra research some time.

Also I agree with Derek on the repair thing, most people don't just repair stuff now days, especially when the repair cost would equal buying a new one. I couldn't tell you if that's intentional, or just because when something breaks on a TV it all kind of needs to be replaced, so you might as well buy a new one type of deal. I don't think that problem is only a Samsung problem.

• Like 1